Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 01:58 AM

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I just joined the brotherhood today. In the way of a Ruger #1 hope to shoot it this week
Old 09-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax89 View Post
I just joined the brotherhood today. In the way of a Ruger #1 hope to shoot it this week
Congrats.......Welcome to the Brotherhood
Old 09-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
You can try backing off the charge a hair and/or slower burning powder if backing off causes accuracy to drop off.

One thing I'm wondering is, is there a difference in how different mfg's and custom makers cut the angle on the transition from the freebore running up to the lans?

I'm postulating that if you have a longer/flatter slope on that run then you'll have less pressure problems than you would with a sharper/steeper transition.

I was also thinking that the longer transition would cause more accuracy issues if you back off vs the sharper angle.

Maybe some of the real gurus will chime in. This is pure theory on my part.
I have been curious how an STW would react with a long freebore like a Weatherby...That would eliminate the need for jumping the bullets a long ways or pinning them up against the lands for pressure spikes. Then you could seat to magazine length and it wouldn't matter.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I have been curious how an STW would react with a long freebore like a Weatherby...That would eliminate the need for jumping the bullets a long ways or pinning them up against the lands for pressure spikes. Then you could seat to magazine length and it wouldn't matter.
The few people i've ever talked to shooting accumarks chambered in 7mm STW were very happy with them.

I hope someone that has actual experience scoping lots of throats can chime in on my theory/questions.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The few people i've ever talked to shooting accumarks chambered in 7mm STW were very happy with them.

I hope someone that has actual experience scoping lots of throats can chime in on my theory/questions.
I agree, I'd like to hear how it affects throat erosion, as well.

I couldn't see where it would harm anything to have a long freebore. All I can see are positive effects.

I bet it would increase barrel life and throat wear significantly enough to make it a contender compared to larger caliber overbore magnums that are a little better because of the larger bore diameter.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 09-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member

The 7stw already has around .2" freebore (from a 3.6" saami oal), or about the same as many wby cal's. The problem is people seat their pills out and use extended mags to eat up that freebore. If you want to get over .25" freebore you need to get to something like the 7rum which will have .4" to .5" from what I've seen.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
The 7stw already has around .2" freebore (from a 3.6" saami oal), or about the same as many wby cal's. The problem is people seat their pills out and use extended mags to eat up that freebore. If you want to get over .25" freebore you need to get to something like the 7rum which will have .4" to .5" from what I've seen.
I don't want to own a 7RUM, I was just thinking that it would be cool to have about .5" of freebore to help save the throat and to help the finicky VLD's be seated to a normal length.

Quote: