Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Ok here's a question for you guys who shoot Accumarks.

I've got an opportunity to pick up an accumark 7mm STW at a decent price.

Supposedly it's low mileage and in good shape. New I see them between 1,400.-1,800 and I'm fairly sure I could pick this one up considerably cheaper.

It's not like there's a shortage of STW's in my cabinet now but I've never owned an Accumark and have always thought about giving one a spin.

Any thoughts?
I have an Accumark .257 Wby Mag. Shoots great. Needs some tweaking, and the lug and action bedded, but other than that it still shoots sub-MOA, just not like I think a $1,800 rifle should. JMO.

However, Broz said that all Accumarks need the lug bedded to shoot worth a damn, so I will try that, and hopefully that will tighten up my groups. I occasionally get a 1/2 MOA group, but usually closer to 3/4 MOA.

All-in-all, if you get a chance to own a great rifle like an Accumark, in a great caliber, like the 7mm STW, I'd be like Tanto and jump on it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Bronze Member

Im loving my first STW !! Now if I could get some baseline reloading recipes it would be greatly appreciated. 800-1000yd Mule Deer and Elk loads if possible. Im sure I will have to groom them some for my rifle but it will give me a head start on R&D and save me money. Also have 400 polished casings to load up and the will to do it!!! Any recommendations on a DIE set would also help. Its a new platform for me.

Jimbo
Old 09-12-2013, 12:51 PM

I am the VERY happy owner of a new 7STW. Specs are as follows:
Surgeon 1086 action
McMillian Rem Hunter stock 50%black, 25%OD, 25%Lt. Tan
Krieger 5.5 taper fluted 9.5 twist 28" long
Jewell trigger
Nightforce 5-25 ATACR scope

Initial load development with 140 Accubonds yielded 1/2" groups at 100 yards. 80 grains of IMR7828 resulted in a velocity of 3477, SD5, ES12.

Can't thank Robert Gradous enough for both his beautiful work and his patience in working with a rookie like me to select the parts for this rifle.

Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-stw1.jpg   7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-stw2.jpg  

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-stw3.jpg  
Old 09-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Cmore....That is just nasty looking! I'm jealous...

Oh, and welcome to the brotherhood.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 09-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwg2boatguy View Post
Im loving my first STW !! Now if I could get some baseline reloading recipes it would be greatly appreciated. 800-1000yd Mule Deer and Elk loads if possible. Im sure I will have to groom them some for my rifle but it will give me a head start on R&D and save me money. Also have 400 polished casings to load up and the will to do it!!! Any recommendations on a DIE set would also help. Its a new platform for me.

Jimbo
Jim, welcome to the brotherhood as well. I like the Berger 168 and 180 VLD's myself.

I have been meaning to try the Berger 180 Hybrids, but havne't had a chance yet. I hear they are not quite as picky on seating depth as the VLD's can be.

I like H1000 and Reloder 22 for mine.

I have also heard great things about Reloder 25, 33, and Reloder 50, but have yet to try any of those, as I can't seem to find any locally.

If you plan on shooting Berger, Hornady, or Nosler bullets, let me know which model and weight, and which powder you want to use, and I can look up the Min & Max loads the recommend to give you a guide to go by.

Quote:
Old 09-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwg2boatguy View Post

Jimbo
Jimbo if it were me I would try some Barnes 140 TSX's with 79 or 80 gr of RL25 with some 215 GM's .....I know the 140 may seem light but its a monolithic Bullet and hits like a 168 or so The STW seems to favor RL25 but H-1000 works very well also ....Myself and several others here had Awesome results with the Barnes last year but just let me know what you have in mind and We'll get you up and running .......Load to mag length(dont try to stretch it to the lands) The stw really likes a good bit of jump .....As for dies Lee or RCBS are both great ....I would go ahead and invest in a neck sizing die and a Lee factory crimp die (You'll find these most useful) and I'll tune you up on the factory crimp die once you get going.........Welcome Aboard
Old 09-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor View Post
I am the VERY happy owner of a new 7STW. Specs are as follows:
Surgeon 1086 action
McMillian Rem Hunter stock 50%black, 25%OD, 25%Lt. Tan
Krieger 5.5 taper fluted 9.5 twist 28" long
Jewell trigger
Nightforce 5-25 ATACR scope

Initial load development with 140 Accubonds yielded 1/2" groups at 100 yards. 80 grains of IMR7828 resulted in a velocity of 3477, SD5, ES12.

Can't thank Robert Gradous enough for both his beautiful work and his patience in working with a rookie like me to select the parts for this rifle.

Thats a Bad Rig Bud .....Congrats