Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Sawyer View Post
I'm new to this forum so please dont crucify me if I do something wrong. I'm in the early stages of doing a 7STW build. My doner gun is a Sendero chambered in 300RUM. I am planning on staying with the sendero barrel contour and using a 28 inch Hart barrel with a 1 in 9 twist. I plan on shooting the 180 Berger VLD's. My gunsmith who admittedly doesnt do much work on customs asked me how I wanted it chambered. I didn't know what to tell him. That is what my question is to any experts that are "in the know" about this cartridge. Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated...

Dennis
Dennis,
I am with 7stw on this one and he said all that needs to be said. I with the others on the smith also, you are spending a lot of money and be sure you don't be the Ginny pig for a novice when it comes to this custom build. I don't mean to "bad mouth" someone I don't know, but it would be a pricey mistake you come out on the short end of the stick. Just be sure that he knows what he is doing and don't go into it guessing, I was a novice one time also and the only way to get better is to work and get the experience and don't quit until you've got it. I am no master gunsmith by a Long shot, but I've been around a good one long enough to know what to look for. Farming, machanicing, and taxidermy, now I can square you away on those.
FE
Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 AM
Bronze Member

Was wondering if anyone has used a 1-8.5 twist for their 7mm STW? What bullets did it like. Any problem with gruouping? What loads and bullet combination worked for you?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSM View Post
Was wondering if anyone has used a 1-8.5 twist for their 7mm STW? What bullets did it like. Any problem with gruouping? What loads and bullet combination worked for you?
I do not have any experience with a 1-8.5 twist in a 7mm STW but I would think the 180 gr. bergers would work well. Also, I would think the new 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet would work real well too.

Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 04-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

I went through some once fired (factory load) Rem brass today---8% of the cases (8 out of 100)were rejected because of neck defects; some split (I call a "split" when the neck is cracked parallel to the length of the case) some cracked (something other than parallel to the length of the case) and some with lengthwise ridges or grooves that showed up on the inside and outside of the neck.

I'm not a happy camper :(

Hope my Win brass is better than this........

Jim
Old 04-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Who made the factory loads, and what bullets were in them. New stuff or old stuff?

Check out a few sites like the one below. I've generally had better results with new cases. The Federal cases I have from factory ammunition have some cracks and seem light and flimsy to me?

Varmint Al's Handloading/Reloading Page
Old 04-22-2012, 02:10 AM

Gday Gents, I purchased a new Rem700 375h&h last year, pulled the barrel straight away then started to piece things together. It has a 28"maddco #8 profile barrel matched to the trued and lapped action and purchased a pacific tooling finish reamer for future barrel changes when the need be. Fitted it to a mcmillan bakers special sitting in epoxy with a jewel trigger and topped with a nightforce nxs 3.5-15x56 scope. With the 168 vld's and rl25 it is one hell of a fringe country sniping rifle for the deer. Nosler custom brass after four loads of various extremes is holding up very well. Also have a custom muzzle brake by my local gunsmith fitted making it as pleasant to shoot as a .222rem. Good reading through the other articles fellas.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Silver Member

Ed, the brass is from Rem factory 140 Corelock---I bought a bunch (200 rounds) when I got the first Sendero---so, the brass is several years old but I fired the stuff soon after getting the rifle.

The other 100 rounds went to a friend who bought a Sendero at the same time. He doesn't load or shoot much (hardly any!!) so his ammo is probably still intact. I need to check with him on it's condition.

One thing I noticed about the Rem 140 velocity, two different PACT chronos gave velocity about 100 fps faster than Rem catalog. I posted it here at the time but nobody seemed interested in that fact. I used .22 std velocity fps to check the chronos and both were right on whatever the velocity should have been for the .22 stuff; don't remember the fps now.

This is not the only time I have fussed about Rem brass quality, just the most noticable.

I went through a lot of old Frontier .308 brass some time ago---many cases had split necks, probably from lack of anneal when made.

Guess I'm just a cranky old man.........

Jim