Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 01:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

sounds like my rifle last year-- everything kept coming loose....

Hey guys, horn soup (bouncy style) for supper in November!! Smokey deer too!!! Got what I wanted for tags!!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

Not that yall give a damn...Here's some updates in my world.

Well.....After many months of not going to the range, I finally went Sunday. The weather has heated up here, and apparantly my awsome STW load (Berger 180 VLD & H1000) I had developed earlier this year (winter/spring time) is not a good one for summer heat. Groups weren't bad, but highly inconsistant.

On a stranger note, my 168 VLD load with Reloder 22, that was not as consistant during the cold months, was shooting 1/4-1/2 MOA ragged hole 3-shot groups... Glad to know which one will be working better for the winter, and which one for summer.

My Weatherby Accumark .257 Wby is loving the 115 VLD's and H1000 load, but I still need to do some final tweaking. But shooting 1/2-3/4 MOA groups. Then again, after reading one of Broz's posts, I might just need to bed the recoil lug to help with consistancy. I'll give that a try first before swapping up the load.

The Browning A-Bolt II 7Mag is shooting my 168 VLD load very well, but I have yet to try the 180 VLD load, as I ran out of time at the range on Sunday (they close @ 5:00).

My new (to me) 700 .338 WinMag won't group to save its life. Even after I checked, and it has been bedded to the B&C Medalist stock (prior to purchase), and I free-floated the barrel a few weeks ago. So, that barrel is going to be pulled and I will probably be putting a lightweight .257 Wby barrel on it for stalk-hunting whitetails, because all my rifles are heavy barrels, except that one and my Browning 7Mag.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:07 AM

Took the rifle back to the smith last night. The one that mounted the scope was a younger guy that is working for him. They both remember the gun and asked how it was shooting. After explaining everything i had gone through in working up the loads then everything falling apart. He took it in the back and came out a few minutes later, said the front screw mounts never got any Loctite on them, he said every other screw in the mount had been Loctited but the front base screws were missed. The young guy that had done the work apologized. I told him we are all human and I was glad it was an easy fix, not something like a striped threads. Now it is time to start over again or at least finish if bullet supply holds out.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Not that yall give a damn...Here's some updates in my world.

Well.....After many months of not going to the range, I finally went Sunday. The weather has heated up here, and apparantly my awsome STW load (Berger 180 VLD & H1000) I had developed earlier this year (winter/spring time) is not a good one for summer heat. Groups weren't bad, but highly inconsistant.

On a stranger note, my 168 VLD load with Reloder 22, that was not as consistant during the cold months, was shooting 1/4-1/2 MOA ragged hole 3-shot groups... Glad to know which one will be working better for the winter, and which one for summer.

My Weatherby Accumark .257 Wby is loving the 115 VLD's and H1000 load, but I still need to do some final tweaking. But shooting 1/2-3/4 MOA groups. Then again, after reading one of Broz's posts, I might just need to bed the recoil lug to help with consistancy. I'll give that a try first before swapping up the load.

The Browning A-Bolt II 7Mag is shooting my 168 VLD load very well, but I have yet to try the 180 VLD load, as I ran out of time at the range on Sunday (they close @ 5:00).

My new (to me) 700 .338 WinMag won't group to save its life. Even after I checked, and it has been bedded to the B&C Medalist stock (prior to purchase), and I free-floated the barrel a few weeks ago. So, that barrel is going to be pulled and I will probably be putting a lightweight .257 Wby barrel on it for stalk-hunting whitetails, because all my rifles are heavy barrels, except that one and my Browning 7Mag.

Of course we give a damn!!! Interesting how that powder is not supposed to be temp sensitive!! Glad you learned us something!!! Hahahahahga
Keep shoot'n
Old 08-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Hey guys, i am in Maryland, and it has been a tough week, with all the homes Ive seen, and offers and such. Ive seen a ton of deer, almost, if not every day. Getting close on a decision on my house, and the closing. lots of great homes and property here. will keep in touch whe i can, and hopefully from my new home soon. take care to all!!!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Hey guys, i am in Maryland, and it has been a tough week, with all the homes Ive seen, and offers and such. Ive seen a ton of deer, almost, if not every day. Getting close on a decision on my house, and the closing. lots of great homes and property here. will keep in touch whe i can, and hopefully from my new home soon. take care to all!!!!!
Good luck on your offers and house hunt!!!

Hope soon it turns to a deer hunt!!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
New Rig Should be here Wed