Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Sawyer,I agree with sleepy on the smith,But if yor commited to him IMO less is more I prefer a tight chamber with a minimal head space but thats just me......I assume your reloading so you know about shoulder bump.....Im sure 7STW and Fred Ea will have some good avice Im sure they will post something directly,Hope this helps,Once again like Sleepy said if your smith is asking you, I would do something else
UMMMMM, I'm a little alarmed by the comment, " how do want it chambered" thing. The short answer is " I want it perfect, square, smooth, and plum" . The other option is do you want a tight chamber,( no)' , but a minimum SAAMI spec wil do just fine. Insist on NEW reamers, not rentals, even if you have to buy them yourself. Pacific makes fantastic reamers, and the finish is superb. They are really not that much $ if you do buy them. Sometimes the rental reamers are NEW, but be sure they are before they are used. One final thought, and I say this after thinking that I wasn't going to say it, but if your smith is your friend, sometimes it is best to not mix business and friends. Building a custom rifle is serious business, and if you are doing this just to give him work, that's one thing, but with the questions you've been asked, I'd be a little nervous.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Bronze Member

I agree with everyone else, I can attest to dumping money in a bad smith. I'm wondering did your smith mean what caliber did you want it chambered?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1 View Post
Thanks Ed,

I'm leaning toward the H1000 as the propellant of choice for both 162's and 180's.

Dan
Brother Dano, what's happening? Yup, that's the way I would go, and even try my old go to powder, RL22. Those darn 162 A maxes really shoot well, in fact, they shoot in everything I stick um in to. I have not had much luck with the Retumbo, but the H1000, works awesome. Don't know what the new rifle will shoot, but that's part of the fun. It will be done soon. No hurry. Take care and have fun!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSM View Post
I agree with everyone else, I can attest to dumping money in a bad smith. I'm wondering did your smith mean what caliber did you want it chambered?
I was thinking that too, but I didn't get that from the initial opening statement.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
UMMMMM, I'm a little alarmed by the comment, " how do want it chambered" thing. The short answer is " I want it perfect, square, smooth, and plum" . The other option is do you want a tight chamber,( no)' , but a minimum SAAMI spec wil do just fine. Insist on NEW reamers, not rentals, even if you have to buy them yourself. Pacific makes fantastic reamers, and the finish is superb. They are really not that much $ if you do buy them. Sometimes the rental reamers are NEW, but be sure they are before they are used. One final thought, and I say this after thinking that I wasn't going to say it, but if your smith is your friend, sometimes it is best to not mix business and friends. Building a custom rifle is serious business, and if you are doing this just to give him work, that's one thing, but with the questions you've been asked, I'd be a little nervous.
7Stw.......i should not have said"tight".....minimum SAAMI is what I was refering to......my bad (go ahead slap me) but we are all on the same page on the smith I think I would do something else
Old 04-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

7 stw,

Not much is happening, just getting some test loads ready, hopefully I'll get the opportunity to get to the range on Monday. I've got quite a few test loads to shoot.

Hopeing to find what makes my stw sing....

Dan
Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1 View Post
7 stw,

Not much is happening, just getting some test loads ready, hopefully I'll get the opportunity to get to the range on Monday. I've got quite a few test loads to shoot.

Hopeing to find what makes my stw sing....

Dan
Well, good luck to you, and I hope that you do get some time and weather to go and get the lead out. I'm happy for ya dude. That thing is a shooter, and bad ass!! I went to a gun show two weeks ago, and picked up some 7mm, 154 Hornady spire points, which in the past have shot well in a few other lucky sevens. Also just bought some 150 BT's, and of course some 162 " maxes". Love them things!!!!. Getting geared up for the " new arrival".
Just a thought, if you still have 7828,that is a good powder that you can still use, particularly with the 162. You can go about 1/2 to 3/4 grain more than the RL 22. All else being equal. I know you will work it out. Take care and good luck my friend, my Brother!!!!!