Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Thanks Ed,

I'm leaning toward the H1000 as the propellant of choice for both 162's and 180's.

Dan
Old 04-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Bronze Member

I'm new to this forum so please dont crucify me if I do something wrong. I'm in the early stages of doing a 7STW build. My doner gun is a Sendero chambered in 300RUM. I am planning on staying with the sendero barrel contour and using a 28 inch Hart barrel with a 1 in 9 twist. I plan on shooting the 180 Berger VLD's. My gunsmith who admittedly doesnt do much work on customs asked me how I wanted it chambered. I didn't know what to tell him. That is what my question is to any experts that are "in the know" about this cartridge. Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated...

Dennis
Old 04-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Bronze Member

Before I dropped money on a build I would find a smith with a great reputation and experience with building rifles.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Time View Post
Before I dropped money on a build I would find a smith with a great reputation and experience with building rifles.

Thats good advise and I would agree, however part of the reason I'm doing this is to help him gain some experience. I believe he has all the capability in the world and appreciate his honesty. So do you have any info on how to chamber it?

Thx, Dennis
Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Sawyer View Post
Thats good advise and I would agree, however part of the reason I'm doing this is to help him gain some experience. I believe he has all the capability in the world and appreciate his honesty. So do you have any info on how to chamber it?

Thx, Dennis
Sawyer,I agree with sleepy on the smith,But if yor commited to him IMO less is more I prefer a tight chamber with a minimal head space but thats just me......I assume your reloading so you know about shoulder bump.....Im sure 7STW and Fred Ea will have some good avice Im sure they will post something directly,Hope this helps,Once again like Sleepy said if your smith is asking you, I would do something else
Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Bronze Member

Once again I think it's good advise to hire a pro. I've had this guy do several things for me and all have turned out really nice. I like to shoot guns a lot. However I have little to no knowledge of gunsmithing. I did however work for many years as a millwright and was around machinists quite a bit. I would think if he was given the proper specs he would be able to do the job. Am I missing something here??? For instance I am assuming the limited headspace you are suggesting is due to the belted case right? Any other suggestions?
Old 04-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Sawyer View Post
Once again I think it's good advise to hire a pro. I've had this guy do several things for me and all have turned out really nice. I like to shoot guns a lot. However I have little to no knowledge of gunsmithing. I did however work for many years as a millwright and was around machinists quite a bit. I would think if he was given the proper specs he would be able to do the job. Am I missing something here??? For instance I am assuming the limited headspace you are suggesting is due to the belted case right? Any other suggestions?
Its too much for me to get into here ....Bryant customs has a really in depth artical on this procedure its a complex deal and can destroy your acurracy if not done correctly check out Bryant customs rechambering I think it will help ButterBean