Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by muliehunter View Post
The only thing id ck is to see if stw will feed from magazine i was going to do that to a ruger until i found that out didnt want just a single shot so im going to clean it up and sell it to fund another stw
Muliehunter, IF that rifle is a seven mag Sendero, and has been rechambered to STW, the magazine WILL feed the rounds to the chamber just fine. If you rechamber a seven mag to seven RUM, you have to change the box, and open the frame rails, due to the wider width of the UM case.
My first semi custom that I built years ago, was a LSS, in seven mag. I screwed a #5 Hart barrel into it, chambered to STW, no problems with feeding at all.
I have heard of a few rechambers that do require feeding modifications, and Rugers are in that group. One of the most successful re chambers, was on a Browning Stainless Stalker. My friends rifle had a 26 inch barrel, that shot somewhat ok before the rechamber. It shot like a dream afterwards, because the new cartridge length put the neck in a very good portion of the rifling. That thing STILL shoots like a dream. I'm not sure if he had to modify the rails, or ramp, but I think he didn't have to do anything.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

It's right about 1100. I sent him 6factory stw rounds to group 2 sets of 3. See how it does. Figure if its sub Moa with factory, I can do some damage with reloads.
Sounds reasonable??
Old 05-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Bronze Member

Just something i tought might be checked if id spen te money on my ruger and found out after id been pissed didnt no about other brands jus haveing thsis one powder coated andreplces stock and sell i to fund another stw if i had ordered it new about 2mths latter id never had a 7remmag. i seen. the 7stw but didn want 2 different 7 s go my rirst one last year and now want anoher. one i like it almost better than my 243 and id be buried. with it but m son says he burn me and keep the un anyways
Old 05-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Bronze Member

seen a sign when i was in high school that said the one who dies with the most toys wins i think. it ment guns and i have a lot of catching up to do now that i dont have child suport anymore
Old 05-13-2013, 10:54 PM
Bronze Member

has any one had anything. to do wih hoque stocks. and dua coatany imput would be helpfull
Old 05-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Muliehunter, IF that rifle is a seven mag Sendero, and has been rechambered to STW, the magazine WILL feed the rounds to the chamber just fine. If you rechamber a seven mag to seven RUM, you have to change the box, and open the frame rails, due to the wider width of the UM case.
My first semi custom that I built years ago, was a LSS, in seven mag. I screwed a #5 Hart barrel into it, chambered to STW, no problems with feeding at all.
I have heard of a few rechambers that do require feeding modifications, and Rugers are in that group. One of the most successful re chambers, was on a Browning Stainless Stalker. My friends rifle had a 26 inch barrel, that shot somewhat ok before the rechamber. It shot like a dream afterwards, because the new cartridge length put the neck in a very good portion of the rifling. That thing STILL shoots like a dream. I'm not sure if he had to modify the rails, or ramp, but I think he didn't have to do anything.
What calibers did the go from/to? I have an A-Bolt II I have been wanting to rebarrel, but have been thinking for ease, money, and convenience just keep it a 7mm RM...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muliehunter View Post
has any one had anything. to do wih hoque stocks. and dua coatany imput would be helpfull
I had a Hogue Overmold stock on my 10/22 and it was great. I have been using hogue grips on pistols for years and years with no issues.

I think for a long-range hunting rifle you'd be happier with atleast a B&C Medalist or H.S Precision Pro-Series 2000 stock....Something with an aluminum bed block in it for accuracy.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.