Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oliver View Post
Been going through my 7STW stuff and found a box and half of WW Ballistic Silvertip factory loads. They came with an STW I got from a friend.

Any of you guys used these loads? What's the black coating on the bullets? Looks and feels like teflon........I'm concerned that it will foul my bbl. and be hard to remove. I don't do moly and have no desire to get into coated bullets.

Should I just pull the bullets and salvage the brass??

Thanks,
Jim
Jim,
I used to shoot them because they shot so darned good out of my built stw, probably the best shooting 150gr. bullet I've shot through it to this point, but when it came to performance on whitetails, it would tear up too quick and would only make one hole even out to 250 yards so I quit hunting with them because of that. Killed a big 7 pt. at 250 yds. and the bullet was lodged under the skin on the opposite side and was completely peeled back to the heel on a double lung shot, but I guess you can't get any deader that dead.
FE
Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Ed, We all KNEW the price when we purchased from you...You did a LOT of work for all of us who purchased these brass,,as I said in my orginal "thank-You" post..You went above and beyond to help us "Brotherhood" guys!! Thanks Again!!
Ed,
I will double Sackett on that brother, it's all good.
Thank you again,
FE
Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

Ed,

I also concur with Fred and Sackett said. I was thrilled to have found that some one could even get brass for us. I had been looking for a while and couldn't find any.

You went above what any one could have expected by finding us the brass and aranging to get it for us and then getting it sent to us in a timely fashion.

thanks again.

I'm proud to be part of this brother hood!

Dan
Old 04-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

Ed,
To close the loop on my brass situation, first I found 50 new Rem. cases that I didn't remember that I had; then I found 100 new Winchester cases that I had forgotten.

So---about 300 cases, half new and half once fired.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys, I've learned a little more on checking the marketplace just before the order is given, my wholesaler is pretty honest and a great source, I don't think he is overly greed oriented, he's real honest, I'm pretty good at sensing that as I check around first) brass is a commodity and I do know prices vary, also sometimes bigger marketers use it as a loss leader hoping you'll keep shopping on their site. This is probably the answer to the price difference, Midway and Cabela's didn't have any and they have the same connestions as him. My wholesaler told me, the max he could get was 4000 cases before the next run, so supplies out there are low. I bought 50 rem 8mm RP mag brass to keep in reserve for resizing that cost me 63 bucks with non insured shipping. I still feel okay to have them, but I paid up for these. Rem 7mm stw brass is about the best out there for now.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ea View Post
Jim,
I used to shoot them because they shot so darned good out of my built stw, probably the best shooting 150gr. bullet I've shot through it to this point, but when it came to performance on whitetails, it would tear up too quick and would only make one hole even out to 250 yards so I quit hunting with them because of that. Killed a big 7 pt. at 250 yds. and the bullet was lodged under the skin on the opposite side and was completely peeled back to the heel on a double lung shot, but I guess you can't get any deader that dead.
FE
FE,
I have been using Nosler BT & Ballistic Silvertips for years, I agree sometimes they do not shoot thur & thur,,,BUT here is how I look at it,,,the animal absorbs the entire energy that the bullet produces! When a bullet passes thur there is LOST energy still in the bullet!! If it does not pass thur the animal took it ALL!!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Bronze Member

Yep. I'm happy with our brass purchase. No complaints here.