Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
All I can say is WOW!!!
Tim, and it was a perfect Special Delivery too! I had a truck driver friend of mine hand deliver it too! After all, what are Brothers for!!
Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Smile Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Dang!!! I think in going to cry at that sweet moment!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

Here's a shout out to brother 7stw for sending me the bullets I was having a hard time getting. THANKS BOB!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
Here's a shout out to brother 7stw for sending me the bullets I was having a hard time getting. THANKS BOB!
Bob, no problem, and glad to help out a Bro, from the Hood. Like you said, hook up with Black Sheep. He got them to shoot in his. As I stated in our PM, the added speed will increase the RPM's on the bullet, and even though it is the same twist the 7 Mag is. Additionally, I have chatted with a few guys, that ARE shooting them in the STW, and they are very accurate in THAT setup.
As a sideline, I would NOT have a problem shooting an elk with the 145 LRX bullet for that matter. It actually nearly has the mass of a 160 grainer. But what it dosen't have in weight, it makes up for in speed, and boy, does it open up! Enjoy my friend!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Bob, no problem, and glad to help out a Bro, from the Hood. Like you said, hook up with Black Sheep. He got them to shoot in his. As I stated in our PM, the added speed will increase the RPM's on the bullet, and even though it is the same twist the 7 Mag is. Additionally, I have chatted with a few guys, that ARE shooting them in the STW, and they are very accurate in THAT setup.
As a sideline, I would NOT have a problem shooting an elk with the 145 LRX bullet for that matter. It actually nearly has the mass of a 160 grainer. But what it dosen't have in weight, it makes up for in speed, and boy, does it open up! Enjoy my friend!!!
Interestingly, I spoke with the guys at RedHawk Rifles a while back and they had worked up a load for a customer they built a rifle for that was almost identical to the load Black Sheep settled on. Said it was super accurate with very low ES. Anyway, if the 168 LRX & Retumbo don't give me the accuracy I expect, my next try will be the 145 LRX.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:12 PM

Looks like I am a late arrival on this thread, but I can't resist the chance to discuss the STW. I picked up mine in 2000, a Sako 75 with composite stalk and 26" barrel. Since then it has been my go to rifle for everything Elk, Antelope, Bear, Whitetail, and of course Mule Deer. I have not found a better cartridge for hunting the high country.

I have heard some people say the cartridge is going extinct. Still my friends that shoot the RUM's and Weatherby's drool over my STW.

Thanks for keeping this great cartridge going. I look forward to the discussion.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Muley View Post
Looks like I am a late arrival on this thread, but I can't resist the chance to discuss the STW. I picked up mine in 2000, a Sako 75 with composite stalk and 26" barrel. Since then it has been my go to rifle for everything Elk, Antelope, Bear, Whitetail, and of course Mule Deer. I have not found a better cartridge for hunting the high country.

I have heard some people say the cartridge is going extinct. Still my friends that shoot the RUM's and Weatherby's drool over my STW.

Thanks for keeping this great cartridge going. I look forward to the discussion.
I agree with ya Idaho Muley. Nothin better than a STW!