Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Seeing the other comments here make me think I may not have understood you.

Is that a crack that is forming in the brass after firing, or a donut that forms after resizing?

If it's the former the head space answer is correct.

Are you using a full length resizing die or neck only die?
Neck-sizing only with actual neck-sizing dies.

And yes, that is a crack 2/3 of the way around the base of the cases. It's happened multiple times.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Neck-sizing only with actual neck-sizing dies.

And yes, that is a crack 2/3 of the way around the base of the cases. It's happened multiple times.
You need to full length size them every 2nd/3rd firing even with good brass.

As soft as the federal brass is I'd suggest using a full length sizing die every time but follow the procedure we laid out above and it should solve your problem.

Remember brass "grows" every time you fire it which is why we have to resize and as soft as that Federal brass is 2-3 firings might be all you can get out of it anyhow.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

Is there any way to harden the Federal brass? Or is the metal composition keeping it soft no matter what is done?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Is there any way to harden the Federal brass? Or is the metal composition keeping it soft no matter what is done?
If you harden it, it will become brittle.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Bronze Member

Mudrunner,
It sounds to me like you have a real deep chamber like my rifle. I think you are hurting the cases on the first fireing. I load a light load, seat the bullet so it is jamed back against the bolt face, and lubed so it doesn't stick to the chamber walls and fire form. Then ajust your die like I said before. I have a set of redding competition shell halders but they are useless because the reamer I have makes a chamber with shoulder to far forward. My gun was made in 1990 and since then many dimensions have appeared before they settled on a standard. My original redding die pushed the shoulder back .018 when touching a standard shell holder. Redding sent me a new one but it still pushes the shoulder back .010. Hope this helps I have a hard time explaning in writing.
Brush
Old 04-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, mine was made in 03. Might just get my smith to pull the barrel and cut a little bit off the threads and zero the headspacing. Won't take him but a few minutes. The gun shoots so good as is, but I might get him to just go agead and square everything up and bed the action too. Why not... LOL

I got some Nosler brass on the way. So you think I should just load some cheap bullets and a 1/2 charge with the Nosler brass to fireform for the first loading?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Bronze Member

Not a half charge just a starting load. Lube the case for the fire forming like I said with the bullets seated long so the case is back against the bolt face. I wouldn't do any thing to it if it is shooting like you say. Just ajust your die like I said after the fire forming. I have been lubing case like that for my PPC of which I use 150 cases per year in competition.
Brush