Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush4646 View Post
It looks to me like you are bumping your shoulder back to far causing to much head space. I take the firing pin out of the bolt back the size die out 1/4 turn and size a case. I keep turning the die in a little and trying the case in the gun.If the bolt drops you have went in to far. It should drop half way down and the rest of the way with very little presure.When you get this run a case in all the way and screw the lock ring down and lock it. I do this for every die I have. If you have multible guns you have to do this every time for each gun.
Brush
I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Also, I only neck-size my brass, never FL size them.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Funny thing is, the necks are perfect and the primer pockets are still decent enough to not show any signs of pressure leaking...Damndest thing I've ever seen.

They were factory loaded Federal ammo when I bought it years ago. And I've loaded them probably 4 times or so. But I don't load them really hot or anything.
Seeing the other comments here make me think I may not have understood you.

Is that a crack that is forming in the brass after firing, or a donut that forms after resizing?

If it's the former the head space answer is correct.

Are you using a full length resizing die or neck only die?
Old 04-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush4646 View Post
It looks to me like you are bumping your shoulder back to far causing to much head space. I take the firing pin out of the bolt back the size die out 1/4 turn and size a case. I keep turning the die in a little and trying the case in the gun.If the bolt drops you have went in to far. It should drop half way down and the rest of the way with very little presure.When you get this run a case in all the way and screw the lock ring down and lock it. I do this for every die I have. If you have multible guns you have to do this every time for each gun.
Brush
Brush, I have to agree with your take on that, and I do the same to all of my guns, but ti learned how to smoke the shoulder with a candle and and screw down the die til it makes contact, then just a " smidge" more. That usually yields about .003 clearance. Sometimes you may need to adjust your initial adjustment, but once you get it right, your brass will start lasting longer, and it fits the chamber nice.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

I posted a pic of the exact same thing way back. I let the smoke out of a bunch of cases before these guys got me straightened out. My fl sizer adjusted per rcbs instructions was bumping the shoulder back over 10 thou each firing. They wouldn't last but 2 or 3 reloads.
My suggestion is to follow 7stw's lead and get a 7mm Rem mag fl sizer and use it for a neck/bump die. The 7mm has about 4 thou clearance for the case but the same dims for the shoulder/neck. Smoke the shoulder of a once fired case and adjust the new bump die till it hits the smoke.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

I'm sure I'm looking right at it, but I can't figure out how to post pictures in this new "7mm STW" forum?????

I use to get the "attach files" option box on the old "Brotherhood" thread and I'm not finding it now when I want to post a reply.

I see the "attach files" option box on other forums but not on the "7mm STW" forum??

Help!

Thanks!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 04-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
I posted a pic of the exact same thing way back. I let the smoke out of a bunch of cases before these guys got me straightened out. My fl sizer adjusted per rcbs instructions was bumping the shoulder back over 10 thou each firing. They wouldn't last but 2 or 3 reloads.
My suggestion is to follow 7stw's lead and get a 7mm Rem mag fl sizer and use it for a neck/bump die. The 7mm has about 4 thou clearance for the case but the same dims for the shoulder/neck. Smoke the shoulder of a once fired case and adjust the new bump die till it hits the smoke.
Can you explain how you do this with the 7mm die?? I am sorry if it is a stupid question but I don't understand how to neck size only with a full sizing die. Unless you don't press all the way down??
Old 04-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioq View Post
Can you explain how you do this with the 7mm die?? I am sorry if it is a stupid question but I don't understand how to neck size only with a full sizing die. Unless you don't press all the way down??
Set a case in your loader with the die backed off completely.

Raise it up like you are "sizing it". Slowly turn the die down till it has good contact.

That is your starting point.

Now work it down one quarter turn at a time and work the brass up and down watching the neck and when you have fully worked down the length of the neck all the way give it one more quarter turn.

Then do as they suggested above to guarantee proper head spacing and lock it down.