Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

If you are looking for brass, Shooters Pro Shop has some Nosler Blems on sale. It looks like they have 3 boxes.

I have bought from them before, as a few months ago I bought some Nosler Trophy Grade 7mm stw with 140 gr partions at a really good price. When I inspected them, I could not find anything wrong with them.

Just giving a heads up.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black67 View Post
If you are looking for brass, Shooters Pro Shop has some Nosler Blems on sale. It looks like they have 3 boxes.

I have bought from them before, as a few months ago I bought some Nosler Trophy Grade 7mm stw with 140 gr partions at a really good price. When I inspected them, I could not find anything wrong with them.

Just giving a heads up.
Thanks for the headsup Black, but it appears they don't seem to have anymore left in stock.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Bronze Member

MudRunner,

They are a good site to keep an eye on. They know handle all of Nosler's seconds by what I can see.

I figured that they would not last long, once I mentioned it. I already have a lot of brass for the stw, so that is why I did not jump on it.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black67 View Post
MudRunner,

They are a good site to keep an eye on. They know handle all of Nosler's seconds by what I can see.

I figured that they would not last long, once I mentioned it. I already have a lot of brass for the stw, so that is why I did not jump on it.
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on their site from now on. For the price I just paid for 75 brand new Nosler STW brass, I don't think I'll EVER pay regular price for "firsts" again. Especially if the "seconds" are nothing more than dirty wash looking, and something that will take an hour or 2 in the tumbler to have them looking 100% in no time.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caknives View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new here and just found this, go figure! Just got my STW home a few weeks ago! Had it built kind of on accident but so far love it! 700 action, PTD bolt, sako extractor, custom trigger and rechambered stainless weatherby 7 mag barrel. Everything squared and blueprinted. Shoots like a laser. Still need to upgrade stock and scope but can't say enough good things about it! Can't wait to sift through this thread!
Welcome to "The Brotherhood".

The biggest problem you will find is that you have too much fun shooting it and will tend to want to shoot, and shoot, and shoot.

That's a killer for barrels in the STW so just make your mind up now, no more than three shots without at least a 5 minute cool down in the shade with the bolt open.

Keep with that and you'll find that rifle will last you a very long time.

One other suggestion I'd make is after you follow the proper break in process (use whatever your maker recommends) clean it out completely, then clean it again and send it off to be melonited. That will increase the barrel life dramatically and it's a minimal price to pay for that extension.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

I wish Meloniting had been around back 10-11 years ago, and I would have had my STW barrel done...

Is it too late with around 500 down the tube? Or would it still be worth it?

What you think Rose? Also, how much does it cost? And who's the best?

Quote:
Old 04-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
If it were me I'd turn the necks down a bit before necking them down. That should eliminate your problem.

Brass actually flows when you work it with a die so that 1mm of brass has to go somewhere.

The 7mm STW simply is an 8mm Necked down, or was originally until it became a standardized caliber vs a wildcat round.
That sounds like an idea worth trying. I would think it could only help