Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

My wife is pretty cool about it. She has just been mad at me because I have put the kids and family first. She has her time away from the kids and stuff, so she wants me to have mine too.

When I was shooting Sporting Clays alot a few years ago, she would go with me.

I have one Winchester clean, will clean the other tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 AM
Platinum Member

Mario, congrats on the tag. How do you guys get out of state tags?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member

Luck of the draw. Didn't get AZ this year and I am waiting on MT to see if I got that one
Old 04-23-2013, 11:35 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackgee View Post
They shot it and broke it in for me and sent along the final target:

.266" at 100 yds minus the flyer shooting the 180 grain Berger Hunting VLD.

Mac
Mackgee, I've gotta jump in here. I just got a new 7 STW built by Allan Rovig with McWhorter custom. Stiller action same shadow grass camo McMillan Rem hunter stock, in a lefty. Got a Vortex PST 6-24x50. You'r gun looks awesome. I chose a little bit cheaper option than you.
Got the gun in yesterday, with 40 rnds 180 gr VLD, N570, which shipped separately, and apparently UPS ran over the ammo with something, so now we have 40 rare STW cases destroyed. Allan's sending 2 more boxes tomorrow, and he's about out of cases. Anyway I've seen some talk of necking down 8mm Mag brass down to 7 STW. I bought 50 rnds of Nosler 8mm mag brass, and may buy more once I figure out if this is gonna work for me. I'm not overly experienced in handloading. I have necked it down with full length RCBS die, and came out good, concentric, but with a donut at the neck shoulder junction. I suppose I can fire form, as I dont think the donut will do much for accuracy. I see guy talking about necking down 375 HH brass. If you can neck down 375, can you also neck down 300 HH brass. Right now I can get Nosler 8mm Mag, and Norma 300 HH.
What do you guy's suggest? Aplogies if I've not read all post's on this thread and the asnswer is here.
Been loading for 300 RUM for about a year, and I broke down and went full out MCWhorter custom in 7 STW. At this point I dont know when 7 STW brass will be available, but I dont have time to wait. I have plenty 215's, and N570, but short on brass.
At this point the Nosler 8 mag brass seems to neck down fine, and its available. Would it be good to go ahead and pick up more?
Oh, and I'm brand new to the STW brotherhood. Have yet to fire a round yet. Hopefully will be firing next week.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerwin View Post
Mackgee, I've gotta jump in here. I just got a new 7 STW built by Allan Rovig with McWhorter custom. Stiller action same shadow grass camo McMillan Rem hunter stock, in a lefty. Got a Vortex PST 6-24x50. You'r gun looks awesome. I chose a little bit cheaper option than you.
Got the gun in yesterday, with 40 rnds 180 gr VLD, N570, which shipped separately, and apparently UPS ran over the ammo with something, so now we have 40 rare STW cases destroyed. Allan's sending 2 more boxes tomorrow, and he's about out of cases. Anyway I've seen some talk of necking down 8mm Mag brass down to 7 STW. I bought 50 rnds of Nosler 8mm mag brass, and may buy more once I figure out if this is gonna work for me. I'm not overly experienced in handloading. I have necked it down with full length RCBS die, and came out good, concentric, but with a donut at the neck shoulder junction. I suppose I can fire form, as I dont think the donut will do much for accuracy. I see guy talking about necking down 375 HH brass. If you can neck down 375, can you also neck down 300 HH brass. Right now I can get Nosler 8mm Mag, and Norma 300 HH.
What do you guy's suggest? Aplogies if I've not read all post's on this thread and the asnswer is here.
Been loading for 300 RUM for about a year, and I broke down and went full out MCWhorter custom in 7 STW. At this point I dont know when 7 STW brass will be available, but I dont have time to wait. I have plenty 215's, and N570, but short on brass.
At this point the Nosler 8 mag brass seems to neck down fine, and its available. Would it be good to go ahead and pick up more?
Oh, and I'm brand new to the STW brotherhood. Have yet to fire a round yet. Hopefully will be firing next week.
If it were me I'd turn the necks down a bit before necking them down. That should eliminate your problem.

Brass actually flows when you work it with a die so that 1mm of brass has to go somewhere.

The 7mm STW simply is an 8mm Necked down, or was originally until it became a standardized caliber vs a wildcat round.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:31 AM

Hey everyone, I'm new here and just found this, go figure! Just got my STW home a few weeks ago! Had it built kind of on accident but so far love it! 700 action, PTD bolt, sako extractor, custom trigger and rechambered stainless weatherby 7 mag barrel. Everything squared and blueprinted. Shoots like a laser. Still need to upgrade stock and scope but can't say enough good things about it! Can't wait to sift through this thread!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caknives View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new here and just found this, go figure! Just got my STW home a few weeks ago! Had it built kind of on accident but so far love it! 700 action, PTD bolt, sako extractor, custom trigger and rechambered stainless weatherby 7 mag barrel. Everything squared and blueprinted. Shoots like a laser. Still need to upgrade stock and scope but can't say enough good things about it! Can't wait to sift through this thread!
Welcome to the forum! You will find tons of good info in this thread. Glad to hear you're enjoying your STW so far. Feel free to post pics of it, over in the STW pictures thread.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.