Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioq View Post
I'll third that!!! Shot an elk with my stock. 300 win mag and when I was cleaning the animal, I found pieces of copper completely removed from the lead!! And the meat was all shot out in that area!!! Made me never even look at hornady again!!! That was the sst!!! Never tried the others but the experience in this forum is legendary!!!!
Since we are on the subject welcome to the conversation Alex. What have you guys experienced with Nosler Ballistic tips versus Accubonds??

A few recoveries have led me to believe that the accubond is a tougher bullet, any comments???
Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284nut View Post
Since we are on the subject welcome to the conversation Alex. What have you guys experienced with Nosler Ballistic tips versus Accubonds??

A few recoveries have led me to believe that the accubond is a tougher bullet, any comments???
I second the Welcome to Alex, and enjoy the ride. Be careful, you might learn something!!

284, yes you are correct about the AB being a tougher bullet. And they do fly different, then the same weight BT. I don't know why, but they do. I have killed deer with the AB in 30 caliber, and it did as was described on target, went in, opened up, and kept going, and didn't grenade. I have a new rifle in a 7 mm flavor that I would love to get it to shoot that bullet, as it is perfect for that round. ( .280 ). I have some put aside for it, and am anxious to try them. They do stay together better then the BT, CT.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

I've got 300 nos bt (140 grain 7mm) blems on order but haven't gotten them yet. The Last time I shot a deer with a nos bt it was a 25 cal 100 grain from a 25-06. I hit a doe mule deer with it at a bit over 300 yards and the pill didn't make through on a high slats shot. We texas heart shot a white tail buck at 50 yards with a 165 bt from a 300 win years ago and the biggest part we found was the heel of the lead core.
On the other hand, I popped a mule deer doe at 100 yards with my brother's 270 a few years back ( I was holding the rifle as he was gutting a deer and one came into my view; I dumped the deer with the first shot I'd shot from that rifle) and the 130 grain pill went through the slats just fine.
In short, I've seen it both ways but I'll use a hornady interlock, nos ab, or sierra long before I'll hunt with a bt again. I'll use the bt's for paper punching and save the good pills for when I want to eat it.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioq View Post
I'll third that!!! Shot an elk with my stock. 300 win mag and when I was cleaning the animal, I found pieces of copper completely removed from the lead!! And the meat was all shot out in that area!!! Made me never even look at hornady again!!! That was the sst!!! Never tried the others but the experience in this forum is legendary!!!!
You will love the terminal performance of the interbond and interlock on tough critters like Elk, water buff, big hogs etc.

They fly well and when they meet the meat give very good controlled expansion even at long range. For long range the Interbond is my go to Hornady Bullet. They have literally never let me down.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:32 PM

Wanting to add a 7 rem mag or 7 STW to my collection. I do reload and expect to use the berger 168 VLD. What kind of barrel life can I expect from these?

Looking for a Sendero but will probably have to settle for a standard Remington 700 and upgrade the barrel down the road as well as add a bell and Carlson stock. I'm from SC so game does not get that big.

Any suggestions.

Currently reloading for 270 Win with Berger Classic hunters in 130 VLD's getting 2960 with a 22 inch Boss barrel. Also Reloading pistol calibers.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

I've put over 500 down the tube of mine in the last 11 years (didn't always reload), and ammo was expensive, then it got scarce. Now that I reload, I've put probably 150 in the last 6+ months.

I've been told that loading normal (not super hot loads), you can expect 1500+ out of it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planenut View Post
Wanting to add a 7 rem mag or 7 STW to my collection. I do reload and expect to use the berger 168 VLD. What kind of barrel life can I expect from these?

Looking for a Sendero but will probably have to settle for a standard Remington 700 and upgrade the barrel down the road as well as add a bell and Carlson stock. I'm from SC so game does not get that big.

Any suggestions.

Currently reloading for 270 Win with Berger Classic hunters in 130 VLD's getting 2960 with a 22 inch Boss barrel. Also Reloading pistol calibers.
I have a Remington 700 in a 7 Mag that my dad bought new in 1976, probably 2000 rounds through it and still shoots 3/4" groups at 100. Added a Bell and Carlson stock and the rest is stock Remington. She shows a little throat erosion, but accuracy is still good for what I do.

The 7 STW I have is from 1995 near 1000 rounds through it with no signs of lost accuracy. ALL HAVE BEEN MAXIMUM LOADS, no need to drive a race car like the grocery getter. It's a Winchester 70 and is bone stock.