Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
At these velocities the SST is a flying bomb. If you're a big fan of Hornady and want to stay with their bullets I'd strongly recommend using the interbond or interlock instead. They'll hold together much better and give you very good penetration and controlled expansion.

Welcome to "The Brotherhood".
+1. the SST' are WAYYYYY tooooo fragile at these velocities!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Wink Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
+1. the SST' are WAYYYYY tooooo fragile at these velocities!

I'll third that!!! Shot an elk with my stock. 300 win mag and when I was cleaning the animal, I found pieces of copper completely removed from the lead!! And the meat was all shot out in that area!!! Made me never even look at hornady again!!! That was the sst!!! Never tried the others but the experience in this forum is legendary!!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:00 AM

This my first post. I bought a 7mm sendaro when they first come out had it rechambered to stw and a triger job before ever shooting it. shot a few boxes of factory amo. great . shot 140 gr hand loads unbeleable killed a book antolope 400yds. Lights out. I am glad to find stw brotherhood becouse I thought I was the only one in love with it. alex
Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

I quit shooting the SST's a long time ago, for the same reasons as yall. I had too many whitetails run. Plus, it ruined alot of meat in the impact zones.

However, when I had my old custom target .308, I used to take it deer hunting occasionally. This was all before I started reloading. And I have taken several deer with the Hornady TAP, in the red box (LE ammo), 168 HPBT's. And they have some serious punch! They don't frange bad at all, and they will put a wallop on whatever you shoot.

Granted, the only Hornady bullets I shoot these days are LeverEvolutions for my pistols and lever guns, but I wouldn't completely write them off simply b/c of how sensative and frangible the SST's are... Just my opinion. Also, their Match brass is really good stuff for load development. It's cheap and you don't have to waste shots fired on your good high-dollar brass. That's what I use for load development for my .308. Then once I get a load I really like, I load some up in my Lapua brass.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex clark View Post
This my first post. I bought a 7mm sendaro when they first come out had it rechambered to stw and a triger job before ever shooting it. shot a few boxes of factory amo. great . shot 140 gr hand loads unbeleable killed a book antolope 400yds. Lights out. I am glad to find stw brotherhood becouse I thought I was the only one in love with it. alex
Alex, you are certainly not alone. Welcome to the brotherhood. Most of us have been in love with the caliber for over a decade. Some, since it first came to be. You will find TONS of knowledge here. I, too, have had my Sendero SF 7mmSTW (factory chamber) since it was new 11 years ago. I have loved the gun and the caliber and will ALWAYS have atleast 1 STW sitting in the safe. I have found that mine seems to love the heavies (160-180gr). Currently I am working on load development with some 180gr Berger VLD's.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:14 AM
Bronze Member

Welcome to the hood alex clark! This is awesome!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:15 PM

I load 139gr Hornady boatail soft points not SST's.