Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
It is an awesome low-light scope. But I have 2 issues with it. 1, it's big, heavy, and bulky. And 2, the crosshairs are also big, heavy, and bulky. LOL I could deal with the size and weight of the scope, but the crosshairs are pretty dang thick. If they were thinner like the size of a my 6.5-20x50's Z-Plex reticle, then it would be alot better. I might even send it to Zeiss just for fun to see if they could put in a Z1000 or Mil-Dot reticle, and maybe some adjustable target turrets like on my 6.5-20x50. That would really juice up the scope with a Mil-Dot and exposed target turrets.
Yep it is a trade off. Without a lighted reticle in low light the thin reticles can be lost very quickly in a busy picture.

The thick crosshair is easier to see in low light, but it does take away some of the view so to speak.

I have the lighted MP8 Reticles on my IOR's and damn is that nice!

If I remember right though from looking at them they only offer one reticle in the model you have and don't offer even through the custom shop any others. Is that correct?

It does take a bit away from the versatility of the rig, but still, for a dedicated low light or night hunting rig it's sure nice.

Heavy fog or dust can make that heavier crosshair a plus too though.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not sure, I'll have to check with the guy @ Zeiss CS. If they could do a Mil-Dot and target turrets that would be sweet! B/c I bet that 3-12 30mm has some capability for some huge MOA adjustment inside of it. LOL i might have to check with them. Also need to check about having them replace the Z-Plex in my 6.5-20 with a Mil-Dot, too.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I'm not sure, I'll have to check with the guy @ Zeiss CS. If they could do a Mil-Dot and target turrets that would be sweet! B/c I bet that 3-12 30mm has some capability for some huge MOA adjustment inside of it. LOL i might have to check with them. Also need to check about having them replace the Z-Plex in my 6.5-20 with a Mil-Dot, too.
Take a look at their Duralyt model.

Personally I've considered the 3-12x56 possibly for a dedicated night hunting varmint rifle but without the lighted reticle I'm not sure it's worth it for me.

The IOR's with the lighted MP8 are pricey, but damn that 4-14x50 tactical is just one bad assed low light/night scope. On a full moon I've killed out to 350yds with it without any spotlight.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, those Duralyte's are nice! They weigh about 1/2 as much and the FOV is much better on them over my Conquest 3-12x56. With the Conquest you can see the inside sides of the scope when you pull the magnification out of it all the way to 3x... The Duralyte has a clear FOV all the in to 3x and out to 12x. Might sell my Conquest to buy a Duralyte... Thought about it more than once...LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

Curious about the 7stw what is the heaviest bullet any of you have used and has anyone tried the 200gr uld rbbt wildcat or is it worth trying?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Heaviest I've shot is the Berger 180 VLD's, loaded semi-hot with H1000. It stacks them in ragged hole @ 100. Never heard of the other bullet you mentioned...I'll have to look into it.

Quote:
Old 04-09-2013, 04:46 AM

In process of finishing up my stw. need to get scope for it. thinking on 3-12x56 conquest. would like a night force but price is a little high. going to shoot 168 bergers-78 gr 7828--smokes them out pretty good. hope it all works. jp