Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I have a vx-ll downstairs that's an older 4x14x50, it's my 2nd favorite in the house to my 4.5x14x50 vx-3. The older vx-ll models are cheaper if you find one used somewhere, on Gunbroker or ebay, and the glass is superb. As always, they carry a lifetime guarantee, not sure if you need the original box? But Leupold is pretty good. I think you need to go to 6x18 after 500 yards to really get detail. Keep that in mind.
I would have to disagree. All the magnification in the world doesn't make up for super clear resolution and light gathering.

Had the VXII 6-18x40 for years and loved it till I picked up my first VXII 3.5-10x50. I've been stuck on large objectives and great glass since over any other factor.

Give me a choice between a great 10x with a 50mm obj over more power and a smaller obj and not equal quality of glass and coatings and I'll take the former every time.

I've got kills out past 1,000yds on bobcats and coyotes with my IOR Tactical 4-14x50mm and with 3 different Leupold's in the 4.514x50mm VXIII and Tactical models and while more would be nice on smaller critters they are more than adequate.

One none of us have mentioned yet either as a great alternative is the Zeiss Conquest Series which I dearly love.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Here We go Gentelman .......7stw's new build Live and Uncensored.....More pics on the way.......
Nice! and of course it looks a lot like a model 70 too!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeyman1 View Post
Awesome info! I had dabbled a little in research on vortex, and you may be pushing me into serious mode. Thanks for the in depth response! Good work on here by some informative shooters.
Go with the Vortex Viper PST in 4-16x50mm and you'll be in love. That's an absolutely terrific "starter scope" for someone new to long range. Hell I really like mine and I've been shooting long range longer than most people on this site have been breathing LOL

The fine reticle is a bit hard to pick up in a busy picture but it's great the farther out you get.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ben, Thanks for the info on Leupy, I'll take note. Bob, I love that win 70 action. They feel slick, have the 2003 7wsm model, sweet. There's really more than 1 decent action out there, sometimes we get carried away with rem this and only.
Shhhh! The Model 70 brigade is slowly taking over but it's a stealth mission.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Happy Easter Lee and everyone. Say a prayer for our troops and sneak to the shooting range later or some fun.

God Bless...

Be safe!
Man I just figured out how far behind I've gotten on this thread!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oresti View Post
Thanks for your response. So my only option is finding one on the used market. It doesn't appear that Savage or Winchester produces a factory STW either.
Check the classifieds here at LRH, Sniper's Hide, Gunbroker, and armslist.com.

If you really want something special though find a Model 70 Sharpshooter in 7STW.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Md reloader View Post
I found a used Sendereo in 7mm Stw. Now I'm in need of everything.I can pretty much find all but brass.I've checked all the sites I know of.Any good suggestions?
Patience~

Get on the list at brownells, midway etc and watch classifieds for new or once fired brass.