Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oresti View Post
Thanks for your response. So my only option is finding one on the used market. It doesn't appear that Savage or Winchester produces a factory STW either.
Cooper is your only non custom hope right now that'll shoot without much trouble. I'm drooling over their lh jackson hunter in 7mm stw but it's well over 2 K$.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR292 View Post
First off, Happy Easter to everyone.

When you say digging in, are you resting the barrel on the bags or the stock? I actually shoot the best off a bi-pod and rear squeeze bag I built myself. I couldn't find a bag built the way I wanted it so I went the fabric store and put one together and filled it with rice. My first attempt wasn't that great do to my lack of sewing skills so my wife bailed me out on the second bag.
Depending on the stock and barrel, some actually shoot better being bedded the full length of the stock rather than floated. 90% of our work is a "standard" bed and float whereas the rear of the action is bedded, the front, recoil lug and then out to about 1" forward of the chamber. I'm not saying this is the best way or the only way, but I am saying we have the best results doing it this way. Depending on the stock and action, it's quite common not to bed the rear of the action as well. I have two personal rifle my Grandfather built in the 50's that are full length Manlicher stocks (270 win on a 98K and a 308 NormaMag on a 03A3) that both improved by large amounts by doing a full length bedding.

On another note crowns are another huge place the gun can improve. I've taken a few guns that shot in the 1.5-2" range with what appeared to be a good crown, recrowned them and they tightened up to .5". Outside of physical damage or a rolled crown edge it's hard to see a bad crown without truing the bore up in a lathe and spinning it up and watching it. Again, this is just our way of doing things, but we center the bore to within 0.0005" run-out of true and cut a 90 degree crown with a target recess.
I've never rested a barrel on a bag-- who does that?? Usually it's the same guys at the range who can't hit the broad side of a barn at ten feet.
The biggest reason this rifle was ******* me off is I've got a lh bdl in 300 rum and it was outshooting the custom 7stw with just a rem barrel on the rum.
As to the bedding job, I've pillared the action screw holes (the wood was soft and would compress letting the screws loosen up), and epoxy bedded the recoil lug and barrel channel. The crown is perfect on this one; someone built it as their custom rifle. They just didn't built it for the recoil that the 7stw generates. I'd actually prefer a laminate stock with a full length aluminum bedding block, but the bld stock will suffice for now. The barrel is rather thin on this rifle, hence why I did a full length bed on the barrel.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Ok Fellars as promised more pics of 7's new build.....Lets see a Winchester action Brux Tube a B/C and a Loopy ......Add all that up carry the 2 divide by 3 and that equals a Chubby
Very sharp looking rifle!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Happy Easter to all the " Bros", from me and mine, to you and yours! Have a Great day, and don't eat TOO much Ham, and all the fixxins! ( yeah, right ).

PS, the new rifle shoots like a dream, and WAY exceeded my expectations on it's first day out! This Brux Barrel dosen't foul! But it DAMN sure shoots!
7stw - that is a beautiful rig. My next project will probably be a .243 with that same stock & color but with a cerakote finish & slightly lighter barrel.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
7stw - that is a beautiful rig. My next project will probably be a .243 with that same stock & color but with a cerakote finish & slightly lighter barrel.
Bob, thanks for the compliment. I can't even tell you how many times I changed my mind on this build. Barrel length, stock design, maker, duracoat, or not to duracoat, etc. However, somehow, I did settle on this configuration.
I must say, that I am really impressed with the Brux barrel. To the point, that I have a Remington 700P in 7 Mag, that has some machine marks in the chamber, and I was told by someone that I TRUST from this thread, that it would cost the same as chambering a barrel to really fix it right. That being said, I may just save my pennies, and buy another blank, ( BRUX ), and have it installed. I now have 49 rounds through it. Yesterday, I was shooting bug hole groups, and golfball sized gravel stones from the sand bank, @ 200 yards. Very pleased!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR292 View Post
First off, Happy Easter to everyone.

When you say digging in, are you resting the barrel on the bags or the stock? I actually shoot the best off a bi-pod and rear squeeze bag I built myself. I couldn't find a bag built the way I wanted it so I went the fabric store and put one together and filled it with rice. My first attempt wasn't that great do to my lack of sewing skills so my wife bailed me out on the second bag.
Depending on the stock and barrel, some actually shoot better being bedded the full length of the stock rather than floated. 90% of our work is a "standard" bed and float whereas the rear of the action is bedded, the front, recoil lug and then out to about 1" forward of the chamber. I'm not saying this is the best way or the only way, but I am saying we have the best results doing it this way. Depending on the stock and action, it's quite common not to bed the rear of the action as well. I have two personal rifle my Grandfather built in the 50's that are full length Manlicher stocks (270 win on a 98K and a 308 NormaMag on a 03A3) that both improved by large amounts by doing a full length bedding.

On another note crowns are another huge place the gun can improve. I've taken a few guns that shot in the 1.5-2" range with what appeared to be a good crown, recrowned them and they tightened up to .5". Outside of physical damage or a rolled crown edge it's hard to see a bad crown without truing the bore up in a lathe and spinning it up and watching it. Again, this is just our way of doing things, but we center the bore to within 0.0005" run-out of true and cut a 90 degree crown with a target recess.
Ben, I'll certainly second the part about the crown. I had a 300 SAUM in a synthetic BDL, that all of a sudden, just " quit " shooting. Something told me ,( after pulling out my hair figuring out why it stooped shooting), to check the crown. From the naked eye, I couldn't see it, but with my wifes magnifying glass, I could see the crown was damaged, probably from cleaning. I had it recrowned, and the accuracy returned. You are right, it is very often overlooked, and a lot of rifles have been sold, just because the crown is damaged.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

I found a used Sendereo in 7mm Stw. Now I'm in need of everything.I can pretty much find all but brass.I've checked all the sites I know of.Any good suggestions?