Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
I've done so much work to this rifle that the old pet loads weren't even relevant anymore. The load that shoots in this rifle now was developed back when I had a strain gauge on the last rifle in 7stw.
I'm so used to shooting floated pipes and digging them into the sandbags that I wasn't thinking about shooting a non-floated barrel and NOT being able to dig in.
First off, Happy Easter to everyone.

When you say digging in, are you resting the barrel on the bags or the stock? I actually shoot the best off a bi-pod and rear squeeze bag I built myself. I couldn't find a bag built the way I wanted it so I went the fabric store and put one together and filled it with rice. My first attempt wasn't that great do to my lack of sewing skills so my wife bailed me out on the second bag.
Depending on the stock and barrel, some actually shoot better being bedded the full length of the stock rather than floated. 90% of our work is a "standard" bed and float whereas the rear of the action is bedded, the front, recoil lug and then out to about 1" forward of the chamber. I'm not saying this is the best way or the only way, but I am saying we have the best results doing it this way. Depending on the stock and action, it's quite common not to bed the rear of the action as well. I have two personal rifle my Grandfather built in the 50's that are full length Manlicher stocks (270 win on a 98K and a 308 NormaMag on a 03A3) that both improved by large amounts by doing a full length bedding.

On another note crowns are another huge place the gun can improve. I've taken a few guns that shot in the 1.5-2" range with what appeared to be a good crown, recrowned them and they tightened up to .5". Outside of physical damage or a rolled crown edge it's hard to see a bad crown without truing the bore up in a lathe and spinning it up and watching it. Again, this is just our way of doing things, but we center the bore to within 0.0005" run-out of true and cut a 90 degree crown with a target recess.
San Angelo, TX 76903

Shop Number - 325-212-4392
Old 03-31-2013, 02:40 PM

Is the 7mm STW Sendero still cataloged by Remington? I'm not seeing it on their website.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

Remington quit making them in 7mmSTW between 2003 & 2004.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Remington quit making them in 7mmSTW between 2003 & 2004.
Thanks for your response. So my only option is finding one on the used market. It doesn't appear that Savage or Winchester produces a factory STW either.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Remington offers the SPS in 7mmSTW. Mark's Outdoors in Birmingham,AL has 3-4 brand new ones sitting on their closeout special shelf right now for under $600. I almost bought one Friday when I was up there, just to have another STW. But I didn't have that much money on me at the time.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oresti View Post
Thanks for your response. So my only option is finding one on the used market. It doesn't appear that Savage or Winchester produces a factory STW either.

Or get a 7mm 700 or Winchester And ream it up to a 7stw. Ben can line that up for you
Old 03-31-2013, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Happy Easter guys!

Had to work the pt gig all morning and we'll be getting together tonight, so no shooting until tomorrow. Anyeay, have a good one all!