Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Here We go Gentelman .......7stw's new build Live and Uncensored.....More pics on the way.......
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-7s-280.jpg  

Last edited by ButterBean; 03-29-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Bean I agree!!! I messed up BIG time and I already regret it. Wanted a local builder but I should have went with Ben!!! I am sorry Ben. I think I'll send you my husky when I am ready to
Make it an STW
Old 03-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Bronze Member

No worries guys. You are free to use who you want to use. There's a lot of great builders out there, just do your research with them.

I saw a reference to Leupold and life time warranty, no longer my friends. Leupold changed their warranty program, it used to be "lifetime, no questions replacement" now it's "at our discretion to repair or replace at the cost of the owner". Leupold wanted to charge me 80% of retail to replace a set of binoc's that got ruined on a hunt. No thanks, I'll go somewhere else. Yet another reason I went some where else for optics, namely Vortex's VIP warranty.
San Angelo, TX 76903

Shop Number - 325-212-4392
Old 03-29-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR292 View Post
I shoot long range on a weekly basis, but it depends on what your definition of long range is. To me long range is past 800 yards with most guns. I like to shoot between 900-2100 yds the most. The zoom ability on the scope has a little bit of effect on hitting targets, you need enough zoom to clearly place your shot on the target with the reticule, not just see the target. This all depends on your target as well. Yotes for an example, I do some serious varmint hunting and I can tell you that the more zoom you have (for distance) can make all the difference, however the bigger deal is the quality and clarity of the glass and more importantly the coatings on the glass. Parallax adjustment is a critical piece on a long range scope as well. Being able to adjust the parallax helps huge amounts on placing shots at long range. If you're shooting long range often, an exposed turret of some sort isn't required, but it sure does make it faster, easier, and nicer to run the turrets. If you're just a hold over shooter, then thats not a huge concern for you. Personally I own Vortex, Leupold(everything from a Vx-III to Mk6), Nightforce, and U.S. Optics, I do also have a smitt and bender but never use it, not a fan. In my honest opinion, the Vortex is the best optic on the market dollar for dollar and flat out, both my Viper's PST (1 FFP, and 1 SFP) are better than my Nightforce NXS on all aspects. I also run a Vortex Viper HS LR on my go-to varmint rig and it's a GREAT optic, everything you need to shoot long range. It's a 4-16x50, which for my tastes is a bit weak on max zoom, I prefer a 20x or greater, but again I place my shots, if I miss my point by more than 6" at 900 yds I'm pissed. Being able to see and place 6" at 900 is hard to do with a standard style and reticule hunting scope (duplex of some sort). The price point on the Vortex's are great too. Don't shop around too much, Vortex prices are on MAP, so the price is going to be same every where you go. The 4-16x50 HS LR should run around $540, you can get the same scope without the turrets and reticule for around $450 as well. You can spend $2000 on a scope from Viper, but there's really no need in my opinion, their middle of the road Vipers will provide you with anything you need.
I've played the cheap optic game before, and it's bit me in the ass every time, learn from me if you can on that.

Vortex should pay me I swear, I sell a lot of their scopes after people shoot mine and play with it.
Awesome info! I had dabbled a little in research on vortex, and you may be pushing me into serious mode. Thanks for the in depth response! Good work on here by some informative shooters.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Here We go Gentelman .......7stw's new build Live and Uncensored.....More pics on the way.......
Guys, the day I have been waiting for has finally arrived. It gave new meaning for the words" good Friday" . I went to trade in my LSS, 300 win mag, towards the 700P, and while I was there, the magazine box showed up. He put it all together, and away I went. It balances well, and the scope is right where you want it to be when you shoulder it. I am very happy with it, and would recommend the BC stock to anyone in the market for one. I have more pix coming as soon as my wife can download them from the camera. Thanks to all those that have followed the progression, this really is fun stuff!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Well, my Pops schooled me today on the 7stw. We figured out two of the three loads were unstable accuracy wise, and I wasn't shooting her as well as I should have either. Fixed the load and shooting, and she dumped 5 into .65" at 100, and followed up with a .9" group for three at 100. The accobond and rl25 rides again. Now I've got loading and teardown to do.... Looks like I've made it into a pretty good pipe afterall.....
Old 03-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Gold Member

Ok Fellars as promised more pics of 7's new build.....Lets see a Winchester action Brux Tube a B/C and a Loopy ......Add all that up carry the 2 divide by 3 and that equals a Chubby
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-72801.jpg   7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-72802.jpg  

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-72803.jpg   7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-72804.jpg  

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner-72805.jpg