Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Thanks guys, I would like to keep the barrel below 3 lbs., so I'll call around with that graph Lee put up. Thanks... Fluting sounds like it would help. Bob, I already have the win 70 7wsm, I bought in on Gunbroker for 450, the Shadow version. I love the action, very slick and not too bad a shooter with the pencil on it. The stock is plastic though, so now starts the re build.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Ben, I always wondered about hardening an action, is it worth it? Mine is a late 2003 model.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Ben, I always wondered about hardening an action, is it worth it? Mine is a late 2003 model.
It's a risk, not all actions (regardless of make) come of the case hardening without getting twisted and warped so we highly advise our customers that it's not a risk free endeavor. We haven't had one get ruined yet, but it could happen. It's purely an taste over function decision. Yes it does make the surface hardness higher (rockwell scale) over what the action was to begin with, but it's more for a different finish and add some nostalgia and class to the rifle/pistol. So to answer your question, it's worth it if thats the look you want to add to your rifle to make it different and something you don't see everyday. There's really no performance gain to speak or safety or durability benefits reasons behind doing this.
San Angelo, TX 76903

Shop Number - 325-212-4392
Old 03-29-2013, 10:45 AM

Hi Guys,

Brand new to the forum and just as new to the STW. Read so many good things on the caliber since my brother turned me on to the idea of buying one. I am a reloader, at least on all of my common currently owned guns, such as my 6mm, 25-06 and 30-06, but wanted a flat shooting "big gun" to reload and toy with. So I bought one. It was a used custom job with a remington 700 action and a 26 inch hart barrel on it. I got an incredible deal on it, so I haven't invested a lot of money at all yet, and really don't intend to. So my question to you guys is this. I plan on primarily hunting with the gun in some open terrain in Nebraska, coyotes, deer etc, but would like to be able to set up and shoot some long range off a bench for fun. Could you guys help me out with a scope that will do the trick for both? I understand you get what you pay for, and have always just been a middle of the road guy on price range of scopes, such as the Nikon buckmasters or the Vx II. Have had great luck on all of my other guns with these scopes. But, I have never owned a 50mm objective and would like to try something with one of those out. Could you offer some suggestions without breaking the bank to serve my needs. Best bang for my buck if you will.....

Thanks again, appreciate it, and love hearing you guys' input on what I assume will be love affair with my new caliber!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeyman1 View Post
Hi Guys,

Brand new to the forum and just as new to the STW. Read so many good things on the caliber since my brother turned me on to the idea of buying one. I am a reloader, at least on all of my common currently owned guns, such as my 6mm, 25-06 and 30-06, but wanted a flat shooting "big gun" to reload and toy with. So I bought one. It was a used custom job with a remington 700 action and a 26 inch hart barrel on it. I got an incredible deal on it, so I haven't invested a lot of money at all yet, and really don't intend to. So my question to you guys is this. I plan on primarily hunting with the gun in some open terrain in Nebraska, coyotes, deer etc, but would like to be able to set up and shoot some long range off a bench for fun. Could you guys help me out with a scope that will do the trick for both? I understand you get what you pay for, and have always just been a middle of the road guy on price range of scopes, such as the Nikon buckmasters or the Vx II. Have had great luck on all of my other guns with these scopes. But, I have never owned a 50mm objective and would like to try something with one of those out. Could you offer some suggestions without breaking the bank to serve my needs. Best bang for my buck if you will.....

Thanks again, appreciate it, and love hearing you guys' input on what I assume will be love affair with my new caliber!
You cant go wrong with anything in the VX series be it II or III ...I have several VXII 3x9x50's that and several VXIII and IMO the II are just as good as the III And the 50mm bell really draws the light thats for sure You can get a VXII 3x9x50 for about $350 new and once again IMO thats the best thing going for the money and welcome to the Brotherhood it sounds like your gonna have a sweet rig
Old 03-29-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
You cant go wrong with anything in the VX series be it II or III ...I have several VXII 3x9x50's that and several VXIII and IMO the II are just as good as the III And the 50mm bell really draws the light thats for sure You can get a VXII 3x9x50 for about $350 new and once again IMO thats the best thing going for the money and welcome to the Brotherhood it sounds like your gonna have a sweet rig

Hey thanks for the input! Is the 9 power magnification enough for me in your opinion?
Old 03-29-2013, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeyman1 View Post
Hey thanks for the input! Is the 9 power magnification enough for me in your opinion?
I personally would go a bit higher but it would suffice. I've got a 550 yard kill on my 338 win from back when it was wearing a vxII 2-7 lightweight. It was just fine... Just don't expect a $100 dollar chinese wonderscope to work at distance very well. You have to put some $$ into your scope. Check out some of the Weavers that Natchez has been selling if you want to go thrifty. Ettisll40 has a couple and may be able to steer you better than I can.