Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Man, I wish I could come across some of the deals yall find......Geez. Well, if anyone has any old 700 standard actions (prefer jeweled bolt) laying around that they wanna get rid of, let me know. I need one for my .280 AI build I've been planning.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
Bob,

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of your new baby when you bring it home!
I will be proud to share both of them . I'll send Butterbean the pix, and have him post them for me. I suck at that. The 280 REALLY came out well. I left no stone unturned, right down to changing the hardware to hex head, instead to the slotted screws. This thing is going to be a sweetheart. I was originally going to use a laminated stock, but I went with the BC medalist, lite weight, which is the same stock Winchester uses on the Extreme model, and Remington uses on their Alaskan rifle. ( the same one RedHawk uses too). In fact, it came from RedHawks! Thanks again!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Bob, tell me what the total weight came out as, no scope. Does it feel like you could shoot it off hand? Shoulder well. I'm thinking the same stock as you and barrel for my 7wsm on a win70 I have. I'm staying with blind mag if I can. The other thought might be a mag that fits flush? Anyone know of someone that makes them for a win 70 push feed., 7wsm build? I need stock and barrel ideas. I have to re-read Butterbeans post but I thought he said #1 contour BRUX? That's quit a bit smaller than yours Bob.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Bob, tell me what the total weight came out as, no scope. Does it feel like you could shoot it off hand? Shoulder well. I'm thinking the same stock as you and barrel for my 7wsm on a win70 I have. I'm staying with blind mag if I can. The other thought might be a mag that fits flush? Anyone know of someone that makes them for a win 70 push feed., 7wsm build? I need stock and barrel ideas. I have to re-read Butterbeans post but I thought he said #1 contour BRUX? That's quit a bit smaller than yours Bob.
Ed, a #4 brux weighs 3.5 pounds a full pouund more than the #1 ......
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Ed, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the BC stock is for hinged floor plate only in this configuration. Otherwise, I would have gone that route.
As far as the weight, given that it is a #4 contour, which is heavier then a Remington mag contour, but not as heavy as a Sendero, I " think" it is around 7-7.5 lbs. And yeah, they do make a push feed for the short mags. There is a left over Black Shadow, in 270 WSM at my gun shop. At least, I think it is the old push feed, but it could be the controlled round feed.
Yes, this rifle shoulders very well, and REALLY feels good " in hand" . I wouldn't have any problem with a off hand shot. That's the reason I went with the synthetic, over the laminated wood one. I am a sucker for laminated wood, but I opted the synthetic, with aluminum bedding block, which is always a plus. Enjoy the ride, custom guns are addicting!!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:44 PM
Bronze Member

We're currently building two light weight mountain rifles in the shop right now, one in 280 AI on a Mod 70 push feed and one in 300 WSM on a Rem 700 action. Both are in extreme grade Walnut (stocks about $1800 each). The 280 AI finish weight with scope is 7 lbs, 8 oz. The Rem is finish weight with scope at 6lbs 10 oz. We were able to go with heavier contours but made the weight back up with fluting the barrel, action, and bolt. Both of them are BDL style as well. We went with a #4 Shillen on the 300 WSM and #5 Hart on the 280. We also shave some weight on the Winchester by milling angles on receiver in addition to the flutes. The bolt handles have been skeltonized as well. Titanium hardware saved weight here and there as well. The Winchester is also a case hardened action (yes we do that too). Both rifles got a set of custom SK scope mounts (no screws on the ring, slick setup), SK builds these mounts just for us as blanks and we do the finish machining work. Both of these rifles are going on Mountain Goat hunts and the customers had a set of wish lists requirements that took some engineering to get to happen but we made it happen.
The 280 AI is going to be featured in Rifle Shooter or Peterson's Hunting Journal, I forget which so keep an eye out for in the coming months.

Back to STW news I got my new barrel spun up on my action tonight, however the said 280 AI above stole my PTG bottom metal so I'm waiting on a replacement piece to show up next week and I should be out and shooting this thing by next weekend before blowing it back apart fluting the barrel and bolt and spraying it in DuraCoat.
San Angelo, TX 76903

Shop Number - 325-212-4392
Old 03-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Show us some pics of those fancy high-dollar rifles. I want my next build to be a .280AI. First step is to get a 700 action (pre-J) with a jeweled bolt.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.