Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Lee and Wapiti Bob, Is that Brux able to take a good 3-5 shot group with out getting it's harmonics out of balance? brux does have a good name.
Ed, I just built a full Custom 280 on a #4 Brux barrel. I haven't picked ot up yet, but thought I was going to tonite. Anyway, with the 4 contour, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get 3 shots in a group before the heat gets to it. I should know pretty soon.can't wait. I'll post some pix when I bring it home! Cheers!!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
The only other one was my Utah cow elk. Finally! Utah cow elk tag filled
Well, that and a coyote! Since it was a meat hunt, I intentionally didn't drill her in the shoulder, and popped her right behind the point of the shoulder. Bullet went through and through, and she leaked what looks like 20 gallons of blood in the 40ish yards that she went before piling up. I think with the redesign Barnes did to get them to expand down to an advertised 1300fps makes them open up better on a body shot than maybe the TSX/TTSX did. My son shot his young cow elk right through the heart at 200 yards (if memory serves me correctly) with a 130gr. TSX out of my 270 WSM. She just tipped over, and didn't move. Needless to say, the heart/lung area was liquefied. So far I love the LRX, and I will be ordering the new .277 129? grain LRX's they just announced. They will go into the 270WSM.
Blacksheep, I'm glad to hear that the 168 LRX worked so well for you. I absolutely love the accuracy, and terminal performance of the 145 in my STW. I bought a box of the 168's, and tried them in my 7 mag, and I could not get them to stabilize. They went threw the paper ob long. I think the twist rate is the same in my STW's, and the seven mag. Maybe, as my partner Butterbean said, the added velocity will help send it true. Actually, I wouldn't have a problem taking a poke at a elk with the 145 as well as it is shooting, and I've seen what it did to a deer, and a 4 inch Northern Hydraulics catalogue. That LRX is a amazing bullet in any weight! I am sold on them!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Ed, I just built a full Custom 280 on a #4 Brux barrel. I haven't picked ot up yet, but thought I was going to tonite. Anyway, with the 4 contour, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get 3 shots in a group before the heat gets to it. I should know pretty soon.can't wait. I'll post some pix when I bring it home! Cheers!!
Bob,

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of your new baby when you bring it home!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Old 03-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Guys, I have told the story already to my silent partner, but I went to pick up my 280 tonite, which I thought was done. I have been waiting for a new box magazine, as the one from the blind magazine is different. Well, long story short, it ended up not being there. So I paid the balance,$37.00' and was about to leave, when the owner heard me talking, and said he has something HE thought I may be interested in. He goes out back, and walks out with a 700P, in 300 win mag, with Leupold one piece bases, and a Leupold VARI X II 4-12 scope. Excellent shape, dust in the front lenses. ( from sitting in the closet). I yanked the bolt, looked up the barrel, very crisp looking rifling. I said, How much, he said $ 850.00, and I said sold! So if you heard a gold horseshoe hit the floor, it came from me about an hour or so ago. Sound like a pretty good deal?
I've been wanting to try out some 208 A Maxes out on something, and I think I've found it!
PS, I know this is our STW site, but I just wanted to share it with the " Bros". All the best to all!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Ed,Those are great tubes and I really like that contour for a carry rifle its heavier than a standard sporter tube but not by much....it has the extra weight in the rite places and Im sure it will shoot the group your looking for without any problem
+1, " what he said"!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Guys, I have told the story already to my silent partner, but I went to pick up my 280 tonite, which I thought was done. I have been waiting for a new box magazine, as the one from the blind magazine is different. Well, long story short, it ended up not being there. So I paid the balance,$37.00' and was about to leave, when the owner heard me talking, and said he has something HE thought I may be interested in. He goes out back, and walks out with a 700P, in 300 win mag, with Leupold one piece bases, and a Leupold VARI X II 4-12 scope. Excellent shape, dust in the front lenses. ( from sitting in the closet). I yanked the bolt, looked up the barrel, very crisp looking rifling. I said, How much, he said $ 850.00, and I said sold! So if you heard a gold horseshoe hit the floor, it came from me about an hour or so ago. Sound like a pretty good deal?
I've been wanting to try out some 208 A Maxes out on something, and I think I've found it!
PS, I know this is our STW site, but I just wanted to share it with the " Bros". All the best to all!
Damn, I thought I was lucky but I guess not as lucky as you, Bob!

Congrats!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
Damn, I thought I was lucky but I guess not as lucky as you, Bob!

Congrats!
Gamehawker, that will make two of those 700P's I have when I pick up that one. I also have one in Seven mag. I bought it about 2 years ago for $ 539.00. It belonged to the State police armory, and it got sold to the dealer who supplied them with it. ( that thing shoots out lites ). This 300 is every bit as nice. I am psyched! I am by nature a 7MM aficionado, but there are a few 30 caliber guns that intrigue me, and this is definitely one of them! Thanks!