Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR292 View Post
Yes you have to machine the bottom of the receiver to open it up and you shorten the bolt stop as well. If I can get my pictures loaded for my build I have pictures showing me doing exactly that.
I'm looking forward to your pics!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 03-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

Yes! Definitely post pics! I would love to do that 4.000 one so I can have my gun repeating my accuately nasty 180 VLD loads. Who knows, I might even give her another shot at whitetail hunting, despite the mass meat devastation last time. Then again, I was using a 160 Sierra Gameking last time, so I think that bullet technology has come a long way since then.

I might have to load up some 168 Berger VLD's and put the smack down on some whities....Bet that little load would be smoking!

I finally ordered my Berger manual on Monday. It should be here sometime. There's no telling how long it will take it to get here from Cali, so.....Hopefully sooner than later.

Anyone got any any good 1 or twice fired Nosler or Federal STW brass they wouldn't mind selling? Several of mine are starting to get the white ring of death about 1/8" above the belt, where that 1 cracked at.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Mudrunner shot a deer on here at 150 yeards with the Berger 180's and it destroyed a lot of meat. Should a lighter or non Berger be okay on Whitetail. I planned on taking one this year, and Bergers shoot okay in mine. I'm starying to think 130-150 grain on whitetail anyway. How about some feedback?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Well, I can't tell you what Bergers are gonna do, since I have not killed a deer with any Berger bullets yet. I would assume the 168's would do a little less damage....But I don't know.

I have had good luck out of the 160 Accubonds from my 7mmRemMag. They're not too bad for the size and caliber I shoot. I would call it average devastation next to a 30-06 or 270. However, the punch is alot harder than with those 2, being Magnum vs non-magnum caliber velocities and energy.

However, my main deer rifle is the .257 Wby Mag, b/c it puts them down, but it hardly ruins any meat with the 110gr Accubonds.

Wish I could give you some answers on the Bergers, but will not know until this upcoming deer season, which won't be until about November. I do plan on shooting one or 2 with the 168 Berger VLD Hunting bullets in my A-Bolt 7Mag. So, I will definitely report back then.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

I'm thinking about trying some of Bob's LRX load or maybe a little lighter yet. The TSX bullet, I'm gonna see if they have anything under 140. Anyone else use something light on Whitetail out of the STW?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 AM
Bronze Member

Berger's work fine...IF....you use them in the designed velocities they're are intended for, for us with the STW if you shoot them anywhere closer than about 250 yds (with the average velocities of STW 168 being 3100-3300) they will blow up and most other bullets will either blow up or run through the animal like a laser with little to no expansion, this same problem even happens to 7mm Rem Mag shooters. Bullet construction is everything when shooting game and choosing the right bullet for the intended range is vital to having the outcome you wish. Personally I won't even grab the STW if I think I'm going to have a shot closer than 400 yards, it's not what I built (building) this rifle for. This is my 800+ gun. According to the math and the atmospheric conditions on my long range hunting ground I should be able to keep a 168 VLD within it's kill range out to 1900 yds (2050 with the right conditions). I plan to test that theory later this year on Antelope past 1200 yards.
San Angelo, TX 76903

Shop Number - 325-212-4392
Old 03-22-2013, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
I've been reloading for my Dad's (Pop's) Remington 700 BDL SS DM 7mm STW and I am really impressed on how it's doing at the rifle range. My Senderos have Jewell triggers and his I think has the ProX trigger with a heavier pull so it took a little bit to get used to his but I think I've figured it out now.

Below is the latest 3 shot Group ( .39 MOA ) at 100 yards when I shot it last Monday with CT 140 gr. and H1000. This load velocity was averaging 3,386 fps with my chronograph.

It has been grouping with AB 140 gr. the same but a little higher velocity with everything else remaining the same.

My Dad or Pop (as we call him) is really tickled on the way that his rifle is now shooting.
I have the same exact rifle. Once I did a proper bedding and float on it, it too became a real nail driver.