Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
My local store had a box of VLD Hunting 168's, so I picked them up, along with 2 boxes of 180 Target VLD's.

Will the Target VLD and Hunting VLD have the same, or similar, POI?

I loaded up some 7 Mags last night with the 168 Hunting VLD's and 67.0gr of RL-22. I think I'm going to the range tomorrow, so will report back my findings on the 7Mag, and also with the STW and 180 VLD's.
Ballistically, they are identical. My first box of the 168 VLD was the yellow box,( target)' and when I replaced them, I got the orange box, or hunting version, and they shot the same. Some folks think that the match bullets are better for the super mags, as they don't seem to react so violent on impact.
My seven mag loves those things! Try H1000 !
Old 03-16-2013, 09:25 PM

With that load it is 3155 fps. I am keeping that load in my back pockett, but i enjoy loading and looking for that little bit better round.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Ed, those two components are made for each other, 168's, and RL25. That is a amazingly accurate bullet, however I decided to go another way as far as my hunting bullets go. I still shoot the VLD in my 700P though.
I have gotten very fond of of the RL25, as I like it in my 7 mag as well.
I am going to load some with RL25, and will try them next week. I am still messing with OAL to find the sweet spot.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

I bought some H-1000 today and they had rl-25, but I didn't grab it as I just got a lb. Now that I'm hearing it should work, I'm going to go back and get some more. Those Nosler c/t's sound good, I could run them in my 7wsm too. I spoke with Bob Cauterucio out in California and he is sending me 100 of his 177 grain vld's. Hand made by him, I can't wait for those. My gun shot a 1 1/4" group with those at around 450 yards, but that was by the guy who buit my gun and he is a bench rest guy. I don't have the skill set he has, yet at least. I hope I have good results.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I bought some H-1000 today and they had rl-25, but I didn't grab it as I just got a lb. Now that I'm hearing it should work, I'm going to go back and get some more. Those Nosler c/t's sound good, I could run them in my 7wsm too. I spoke with Bob Cauterucio out in California and he is sending me 100 of his 177 grain vld's. Hand made by him, I can't wait for those. My gun shot a 1 1/4" group with those at around 450 yards, but that was by the guy who buit my gun and he is a bench rest guy. I don't have the skill set he has, yet at least. I hope I have good results.
I have shot some with H1000, today i shot a pretty good group with 75 gr H1000. I am going to keep workin it and see what happens. I have also been using IMR7828ssc, and i am having good luck with it as well at around 69 grains.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Bronze Member

Well after many months I finally started building my personal STW at the shop. I have some pictures of the process but unsure if I should start a new post of the build or just post them all here. Thoughts?

Anyway, I got the barreled action broke down, milled the receiver to accept the Wyatts box, fitted the PTG one piece bottom metal, opened the bolt face from 30-06 to Magnum, trued the action, trued the raceways, trued the lugs, trued the bolt face to the action, polished and lapped the raceways, lapped the lugs and fitted the raceways to the mag box to allow for smooth feeding. Now I'm ready to thread the barrel and cut the chamber. I'm having a custom stock (one off, not produced for the Win Mod 70 normally) made up at HS Precision from a buddy I know that works there and it should be in my hands next week and I should be able to get this thing out and shoot it within 2 weeks. Then tear it back down and send it off to get fluted, then I'll DuraCoat it when it gets back from twisted barrels.
San Angelo, TX 76903

Shop Number - 325-212-4392
Old 03-17-2013, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

It's an STW.....Post them here!

Also, thanks for the info on the 168's.

Why I got the 180 Targets b/c they didn't have the Hunting VLD's....Wish they had, cause I would have bought them instead.

How do yall feel the Hunting VLD's compare to an Accubond on expansion and sfuff?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.