Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I'm glad Mr. Sackett counted them. I told fred that I only opened 1 bag to split for 2 people that ordered 150 and I counted 50 out and through them in with another 100 bag and sealed it. When I went to bag the other I decided to count the remaining 50 and there were 51?! I paniced for a second thinking I miss counted but I didn't want to tear the other box apart so I let it be. I told fred to count, maybe all the bags had 101. If anyone has 1 short, just ask and I'll send you 1. I'm beginning to think the bags had 101 each? If so, my wholesaler had a good source as they are out of Chicago somewhere and they package lots oft this size and drop ship him to the customer, ME. I think I have found a quality wholesaler.

I think the remaining 200 I have are sold but I am waiting a few days to hear from the guy. After that, send me an email if you need more, I will probably put in another order but not untill closer to our hunting season, August timeframe. Whitetail opens here Oct 15 I believe. But I can probably get more if someone needs it sooner, I just have to call for availability and price.

Good luck.
Yes sir i think you have a great wholesaler!!!The reason I was counting was that I was putting them in new boxes of 50 and had 1 left over??? Then I counted and sure enough I got a great deal!!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Academy View Post
Trying to get my 7 STW to shoot 168 Berger VLD's I tried H-4831 and Retumbo. Neither worked all that well. Used RL 25 with 180 VLD's, but that was about 1 MOA, it didn't impress me. Still trying to find a load this rifle likes, it's been one of my hardest to find. I would like to stay with the 168 VLD, 180 VLD or 162 A-Max.
Ummm, just a thought, IMHO, the 4831 is too fast, and the Retumbo has not worked well in any of mine either. You are on the right track with the RL 25 and the heavy weights, but with the 168 VLD's, try H1000. I have gotten to be very fond of that powder. It works well, and ES, and SD are low. Don't give up on it, it will come around. I had a " fit" with my Sako, when I was trying to get it to shoot. When I got it, it was unfired, and about eight years old. So I was dealing with break in, as well as load tuning. At first, it would not shoot 140's at all, however, I did not try the 140 TSX at that time. Then, I got it to shoot 162 a maxes VERY well. Then I bought some 140 TSX's for my 700 LSS, and tried a few in the STW, over 80.3 grains of RL 22 @ 3.702 OAL. Ave velocity was 3411. I backed it down to 79.5 for safety reasons. This thing is now a laser. The first load was safe, but I just wanted a little buffer. With the VLD's you have to find the " sweet" spot with them. It may not be max length that it shoots best. If you so decide to try 140's, there simply is no better powder that RL 22. This stuff makes them scream, and hit like a train. My best primer has been the 215. Don't be afraid to try different primers. Sometimes that is all it takes. Keep the faith Brother!
Old 04-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Can I join the brotherhood now??!!?!?!
Just bought a Sendero STW online and should have it here in a week or two!
(Wont be here in time for MT bear hunt) Can't wait for it to get here! I already have a Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50 waiting on the shelf!!!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
(Wont be here in time for MT bear hunt) Can't wait for it to get here! I already have a Leupold MK4 6.5-20x50 waiting on the shelf!!!
Black Sheep,
Absolutely, you will find it to be a good purchase and love what it will do. You will be able to get all the information you need here for what to do with hand loads or any other questions you may have, these guys here have lots of wisdom on this round
FE
Old 04-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Fred's right Blacksheep. Soon you will be firing your new Laser and animals will drop fast. You may need a 2nd freezer or STW!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well, I suppose we could let one more poor old STW fan in . WELCOME TO THE BROTHERHOOD!!!! We all have became sort of a clan, and PM each other once in a while, and you need to feel like you can do the same. I have been a stout fan of this marvel since it became a legit caliber back in 1997. I presently own three, and am building one as we speak. ( you can not have TOOOO many, my wife disagrees). Where were you able to find your rifle at, and how many rounds through it? Just curious. There is a wealth of info on this site, and if you look back through this thread, you will pick up a lot of info. This is a exciting round to play with, and will amaze you when you get yours tuned . They shoot like lasers, and take out deer like lightening . I own a 300 RUM, and the STW takes them out with more Pizazzzzz. Welcome aboard!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Welcome Black Sheep and congrats on the sendero.....you cant go wrong with the combo your putting together you will love it just got mine and still working up loads but with all the help I got here my fist load shot sub .5 moa........Im fixin to make life hard on furry critters