Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
USMC91, is that a 168 Berger Hunting VLD you are referring to? I have some of those, been sitting on them for a year or so. I only have rl-25 on hand, did you ever load them with that? Also, you're OAL?
Ed, those two components are made for each other, 168's, and RL25. That is a amazingly accurate bullet, however I decided to go another way as far as my hunting bullets go. I still shoot the VLD in my 700P though.
I have gotten very fond of of the RL25, as I like it in my 7 mag as well.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioq View Post
Pardon my ignorance!! What is a CT bullet??

I wondered the same thing a while back, then I stumbled across the Nosler Combined Technology bullet. I am assuming that's what it means. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire306 View Post
I wondered the same thing a while back, then I stumbled across the Nosler Combined Technology bullet. I am assuming that's what it means. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yuppers, you got it! It si basically a Nosler Ballistic tip, coated with Winhesters Lubolox coating. Some people, and some guns, simply won't shoot them. But in MY experience, they have always shot very well for me!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Gamehawker, I have been a longtime fan of the CT as well. In my #1 sendero, they are by far the most accurate bullet I have fired in that rifle, and it's diet has been those bullets since 1998. As far as terminal performance, nothing has walked away, and exits are usually the deal. Sometimes, I have found a part of the jacket, as it obviously spit it's core, but the core kept going.
Now, I just recently loaded the last of a 500 round blister pack that I bought in 1999. Someone made a comment recently on the Reloading section, that he thought the CT was a little more fragile nowadays, then what he remembered in the past. We all know that can happen.
And as far as the accuracy from " Pops" gun, kudos to you, and him. Those rifles were made when Remington had their " poop" together, and most were very good . I wanted to buy the one that was just for sale , here, and missed out on it, but a good guy got it anyway. How loud is the brake is on yours ? I'm told they will get your, and someone elses attention!
And yeah, I'm at least curious about the new Nosler LRAB at least a little bit anyway. I have been very happy with the Barnes LRT, and TSX so far. And my Sharpshooter loves the Partition! How can you go wrong with that.
Those targets are freaking awesome, and typical of the CT accuracy potential. One other thing, is that I firmly believe that they do EXTEND the barrels life. Some may argue the point, but the riflings in my barrel prove it to me! Take care, and tell " Pop" HI!
Thanks for the compliments.

As I said before I'm really impressed with Pop's 7mm STW and the awesome thing about the rifle it's a lot lighter than my Sendero. And it's only about 40 fps (with the same load) less than Senderos that have a 26 inch barrel as opposed to this rifle with a 24 inch (before the brake, 25.5 with brake) barrel.

I do not think the brake is too loud but I always wear electronic muffs whenever I shoot so I can't really tell how loud it is.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Old 03-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire306 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Yuppers, you got it! It si basically a Nosler Ballistic tip, coated with Winhesters Lubolox coating. Some people, and some guns, simply won't shoot them. But in MY experience, they have always shot very well for me!
Yep, Ditto what my good buddy said.

Sorry for the abbreviations and confusion.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Old 03-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

My local store had a box of VLD Hunting 168's, so I picked them up, along with 2 boxes of 180 Target VLD's.

Will the Target VLD and Hunting VLD have the same, or similar, POI?

I loaded up some 7 Mags last night with the 168 Hunting VLD's and 67.0gr of RL-22. I think I'm going to the range tomorrow, so will report back my findings on the 7Mag, and also with the STW and 180 VLD's.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
Thanks for the compliments.

As I said before I'm really impressed with Pop's 7mm STW and the awesome thing about the rifle it's a lot lighter than my Sendero. And it's only about 40 fps (with the same load) less than Senderos that have a 26 inch barrel as opposed to this rifle with a 24 inch (before the brake, 25.5 with brake) barrel.

I do not think the brake is too loud but I always wear electronic muffs whenever I shoot so I can't really tell how loud it is.
Gamehawker, there was one of the DBM's on Gunbroker earlier this week for around $600 bucks! If I wasn't building a custom gun right now, I would have bought it. I KNOW those things are accurate as $h/t, and I really like the finish on the receivers. I'm glad to hear that " Pop" has a good one, but like I said before, most of those are shooters!