Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Tim,
IMO it does ....I shoot them in just about everthing I have but I see the most ease in cleaning and hardley no copper fouling in the STW and my 22-243 MiddleStead
Thanks, also good information to know.

Maybe I'll switch my 140 gr. AB loads for my Senderos to 140 gr. C/T.

But, I'm really looking forward to trying sometime later this Spring when they are released the 150 gr. / 168 gr. / 175 gr. ABLR for my 7mm STW Senderos and to see how far I can launch them out and how they perform in accuracy!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 03-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC91 View Post
Hi all i just joined, i have been getting info off this sight for a while. I am shooting a Remington 700 SPS 7 mm stw with 26" barrel topped with leupold mark 4 LRT. I have found one good load so far: 74.7 gr IMR 7828, 168 gr vld, fed 215 primer, remington brass. I shot an elk last year at 675 yrds. It exited the animal, and the next step she took was here last. I am currently searching for aneven better load. I do not use the magazine, i load one round at a time. I love this round, and hope to do nothing but improve it!
What needs improving, speed, group size ???
You may have a winner already and you don't have to wear your barrel out playing around with different loads that may or may not give you a slight increase in performance.

On the other hand you might be like some of us who like trying different componets to squeeze that little bit extra out of it.

What fps are you getting with that load?

Regards Steve.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
Here's a three shot grouping with AB 140 gr. ( .40 MOA ) at 100 yards. This load velocity was averaging 3,410 fps with my chronograph..

I had 2 bullets left with CT 140 gr. so decided to I shoot a two shot grouping ( .24 MOA ) at 100 yards on the same target.

Yeah, my Pop's Remington 700 BDL SS DM 7mm STW is shooting really good with the reloads I've worked up for his rifle!
Double trouble
Old 03-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
USMC91, is that a 168 Berger Hunting VLD you are referring to? I have some of those, been sitting on them for a year or so. I only have rl-25 on hand, did you ever load them with that? Also, you're OAL?
Those 168gr VLDs usally like to touch the lands 5 thou/10 thou for best acurracy.

regards Steve.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Thank you.

Bob, when I click new posts, this thread seems to come up with the 1st page rather than the last posts, has something been changed by admn?
Ed, whenever I open up this thread, I just click on last page. It brings me to most recent, since my last visit. Try that! Take care, hope all is well!
Old 03-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
Thanks, also good information to know.

Maybe I'll switch my 140 gr. AB loads for my Senderos to 140 gr. C/T.

But, I'm really looking forward to trying sometime later this Spring when they are released the 150 gr. / 168 gr. / 175 gr. ABLR for my 7mm STW Senderos and to see how far I can launch them out and how they perform in accuracy!
Gamehawker, I have been a longtime fan of the CT as well. In my #1 sendero, they are by far the most accurate bullet I have fired in that rifle, and it's diet has been those bullets since 1998. As far as terminal performance, nothing has walked away, and exits are usually the deal. Sometimes, I have found a part of the jacket, as it obviously spit it's core, but the core kept going.
Now, I just recently loaded the last of a 500 round blister pack that I bought in 1999. Someone made a comment recently on the Reloading section, that he thought the CT was a little more fragile nowadays, then what he remembered in the past. We all know that can happen.
And as far as the accuracy from " Pops" gun, kudos to you, and him. Those rifles were made when Remington had their " poop" together, and most were very good . I wanted to buy the one that was just for sale , here, and missed out on it, but a good guy got it anyway. How loud is the brake is on yours ? I'm told they will get your, and someone elses attention!
And yeah, I'm at least curious about the new Nosler LRAB at least a little bit anyway. I have been very happy with the Barnes LRT, and TSX so far. And my Sharpshooter loves the Partition! How can you go wrong with that.
Those targets are freaking awesome, and typical of the CT accuracy potential. One other thing, is that I firmly believe that they do EXTEND the barrels life. Some may argue the point, but the riflings in my barrel prove it to me! Take care, and tell " Pop" HI!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

Pardon my ignorance!! What is a CT bullet??