Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

A further note of caution. Jamming them into the lans will also increase the pressure dramatically vs letting off a bit with the same exact load.

Yes, velocity increases as well but when pushing seating depth to the max you really need to back off of your load a grain or two and then build back up slowly.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:51 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto450 View Post
Guys,

I am looking for some input from some of you. I am in getting ready to develope a load for my sako stw. It has the detachable box. I am going to try and shoot 162gr Hornady SST I am going to load 5 rds of RL 25 in 78,79, & 80 5 rds of retumbo @ 82, 83,84 and 4 rds of H1000@ 81 gr. I just checked he lengths of my balls of the lands and I'm right at OAL of 3.72 My question is, Are my balls set to far out? I have seen from some others that they are around 3.5 to 3.675

thanks for you feedback in advance
Just a word of caution, These loads were hot in my 27" 7mm STW, 82grs Retumbo with 160 Accubonds and way too hot 84grs Retumbo with 162 A max's.
Work your way up carefully and once you've found your first signs of pressure back off by at least 2 grains and work from there down to find your most accurate load.

Regards Steve.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:34 AM
Platinum Member

This thread is so impressive with loading the 7 stw, an incredible knowledge base. No other caliber is discussed in such depth, maybe the 338 edge I guess is close, but not in 1 spot like this. Congrats to safe hand loading to all.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Silver Member

Well brothers, I finally sold my Sako M995 TRG-S. I am sorry to see it go, but at the moment I can't afford 2 STW's.

The good news is that now I can concentrate on my new STW. It is a semi custom that I got from Redhawk Rifles and I am REALLY happy with it. They call it their Alaskan Ti clone. It is built on a stainless Rem 700 action with a stainless 26" Douglas premium barrel and a B&C medalist stock which has a full length bedding block and a nice soft decellerator pad. The barrel is a #4 contour and is fluted; The bolt body is spiral fluted and the bolt handle is skeletonized. After the machine work, it was blueprinted and cryogenically relieved. The rifle weighs 6.9 lbs bare. I wanted to keep it as light as possible, so I put a Leupold VXIII 4.5 X 14 X 40 CDS in Talley lightweight rings on it. Scoped, it weighs 8.2 lbs, which is a full pound less than my old rifle. Redhawk broke it in and provided a test target that measured .397 for 3 shots. Of course, I wanted to shoot it as soon as I got it, but didn't have time to work up any handloads, so as soon as I got the scope mounted I took 2 boxes of factory loads out to the range. I tried the Nosler 160 gr Accubond and 140 gr Remington Core Lok'd ammo which were all I had on hand. Once I sighted in, both factory loads shot "ragged one hole groups". Needless to say, I was astounded. Another nice surprise was the recoil - or lack thereof. I was a little concerned that it would be stiff due to the light weight of the rig, and I don't use a brake... but it feels about the same as a 30-06 to me. I can only guess this is due to the stock design. All my dealings with Redhawk have been top shelf, and I would highly recommend them to anyone here. I am looking forward to seeing how this rifle will shoot after some load development.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
Well brothers, I finally sold my Sako M995 TRG-S. I am sorry to see it go, but at the moment I can't afford 2 STW's.

The good news is that now I can concentrate on my new STW. It is a semi custom that I got from Redhawk Rifles and I am REALLY happy with it. They call it their Alaskan Ti clone. It is built on a stainless Rem 700 action with a stainless 26" Douglas premium barrel and a B&C medalist stock which has a full length bedding block and a nice soft decellerator pad. The barrel is a #4 contour and is fluted; The bolt body is spiral fluted and the bolt handle is skeletonized. After the machine work, it was blueprinted and cryogenically relieved. The rifle weighs 6.9 lbs bare. I wanted to keep it as light as possible, so I put a Leupold VXIII 4.5 X 14 X 40 CDS in Talley lightweight rings on it. Scoped, it weighs 8.2 lbs, which is a full pound less than my old rifle. Redhawk broke it in and provided a test target that measured .397 for 3 shots. Of course, I wanted to shoot it as soon as I got it, but didn't have time to work up any handloads, so as soon as I got the scope mounted I took 2 boxes of factory loads out to the range. I tried the Nosler 160 gr Accubond and 140 gr Remington Core Lok'd ammo which were all I had on hand. Once I sighted in, both factory loads shot "ragged one hole groups". Needless to say, I was astounded. Another nice surprise was the recoil - or lack thereof. I was a little concerned that it would be stiff due to the light weight of the rig, and I don't use a brake... but it feels about the same as a 30-06 to me. I can only guess this is due to the stock design. All my dealings with Redhawk have been top shelf, and I would highly recommend them to anyone here. I am looking forward to seeing how this rifle will shoot after some load development.
Congrats,
Redhawk Rifles make a really nice rifle, especially their lightweight Alaskan Titanium clone model. What kind of trigger does it have on it?

I would absolutely love to own one of their their lightweight 7mm STW Alaskan Titanium clone models but they are a little out of my price range. I was lucky enought to obtain my two 7mm STW Senderos for about the same price as one of their rifles. The downside of my Senderos is they weight about 2 pounds more than your rifle.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 03-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Silver Member

It has the Remington ProX trigger and truth be told, that is the only regret I have with this rifle. Wish I had them put a Jewell on it, but I was over my budget already. The ProX is not bad. Redhawk said they adjusted it down to 3lbs and it is very crisp. I don't have a gauge to measure it but it feels heavier than that to me. On the other hand I can't argue with the way it shoots so I will wait a while on a new trigger.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
This thread is so impressive with loading the 7 stw, an incredible knowledge base. No other caliber is discussed in such depth, maybe the 338 edge I guess is close, but not in 1 spot like this. Congrats to safe hand loading to all.
Ed, I totally agree. At the end of each day, I look forward to coming here to this thread, to either contribute, or to see how " my friends" are doing. In addition, most of us have developed a repoir which each other, and genuine friendships as well.
It's always interesting when new " brothers" participate, and share load info, and are also amazed at how many replies are here also. But, more important, it's a real testament as how many people love the STW, and also as to how versatile, and powerful, yet accurate. Pretty cool stuff! Also, some awesome people here too!