Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
Anybody try RL 33 for 180's?
Hey Bob, if you google RL33, you may find their spread sheet on the STW loads. I saw it a while back, and I forget if there was a listing on the 180. But it is recommended for the STW and higher weight bullets. Do you have that powder available in your area? I don't need any, as I am set with my formulas, but a friend of mine is REALLY looking for it, but it hasn't made it's way around here yet, especially now!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Silver Member

It's available online. Nobody has anything around here. Everybody went nuts, the world is coming to an end evidently.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
It's available online. Nobody has anything around here. Everybody went nuts, the world is coming to an end evidently.
Yeah, or so one would think!! You may want to consider RL25. that stuff seems to run well in what I am using it for, and is better suited for the heavies as well. And it's probably a little more easy to acquire too! I have two lbs of it, and my gunshop has 5 more lbs of it.
On another note, I think that new barrel you are getting is going to make that rifle be a whole different animal now! Congrats, that was a good buy.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Bronze Member

I'm getting excited about my STW build. The Whiskey 3 chassis came in this week, the gunsmith emailed yesterday and said the action/barrel assembly is in the mail on it's way.
I ordered a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm TMR reticle for it. It should be in by the end of next week.

Based off a Sako TRG-s m995 action, it has a Kreiger SS #6 contour barrel installed, 1-9 twist, with a JP Enterprises Bennie Cooley brake. The Whiskey 3 chassis from Kinetic Research is amazing.
Now if the snow would hurry up and melt away, I will be able to get to the range.
Then I can start my favorite process of any new rifle, load development.

Has anyone had a chance to try the new Nosler Accubond LR stuff? I have yet to see any of it here in Canada.

I'll post pictures and soon as I get it all assembled. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve, waiting for this to come together.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire306 View Post
I'm getting excited about my STW build. The Whiskey 3 chassis came in this week, the gunsmith emailed yesterday and said the action/barrel assembly is in the mail on it's way.
I ordered a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm TMR reticle for it. It should be in by the end of next week.

Based off a Sako TRG-s m995 action, it has a Kreiger SS #6 contour barrel installed, 1-9 twist, with a JP Enterprises Bennie Cooley brake. The Whiskey 3 chassis from Kinetic Research is amazing.
Now if the snow would hurry up and melt away, I will be able to get to the range.

Has anyone had a chance to try the new Nosler Accubond LR stuff? I have yet to see any of it here in Canada.

I'll post pictures and soon as I get it all assembled. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve, waiting for this to come together.
Fire306, congrats on your new build, and it sounds like that is going to be a nail driver for sure. And I know what you mean about the snow business. We just got nearly 2 feet yesterday, on top of what we already have had. This winter has sucked. Haven't had much trigger time because of it! I am looking forward to some good weather myself.
That rifle you are building sounds like it is the best of the best. Kreiger barrels are tough to beat. I am building a 280 as we speak, on a Brux barrel. Time will tell, but I've heard nothing but good things about them, from everyone that has experience with them. Post up some pix when you get it together! " Its beginning to Feel a lot like Christmas"....... Take care, enjoy the ride! It's worth the wait!
Old 03-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

RL25 is my "go to" but was wondering about the 33. Barrel will be here Monday. One week from order to my door. Not too bad.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire306 View Post

Congrats! Sounds like a nasty rifle! Bet she'll be a shooter.

Also, I'm pretty sure Nosler said the Accubond LR's won't be available until April or May...But I could be wrong. I have found that the regular 160gr Accubonds work excellent out of my STW. I have also loaded up some Berger 180gr VLD Hunting Match bullets to do some load development. Once I get a good load figured out I will post my findings.

I'm out of town at the moment, but if you'd like I can post up some load data for the 160gr Accubonds, that works really good in my STW.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.