Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
You know what......I like the way you think! I might just have to do that! I wonder if I could order a Sendero SF fluted stainless 7STW barrel from Remington...
You could or you could just buy a stainless 700 action, send it to Broughton, Krieger, Brux or any of the other premium barrel makers out there and have them true it and put one of their barrels on it and pick up a used Sendero Stock off of the classifieds here and have a 7mm STW bug holer Sendero Look alike for less than 1,600.00 bucks.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
You could or you could just buy a stainless 700 action, send it to Broughton, Krieger, Brux or any of the other premium barrel makers out there and have them true it and put one of their barrels on it and pick up a used Sendero Stock off of the classifieds here and have a 7mm STW bug holer Sendero Look alike for less than 1,600.00 bucks.
A lot of ways to play the game with stw's... I was at my LGS yesterday evening looking at the christiansen arms booklet and asked about hanging a carbon wrapped pipe on my lh action; they said 8 bills. Now remember Rem DID put out some carbon wrapped sendero's in 7stw, but only in rh like all the other senderos. I think I'm gonna spend some $$$ this year on the stw guys building a carbon wrapped lh sendero.
I've always thought there was to much barrel weight on a sendero for a carry gun, and they swing slow on running game to boot. If can get the barrel stiffness to calm this caliber down without the weight, I'm going to have to jump in feet first.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

Lefty, where do I get a brochure, I might do this on my 7wsm winnie, I want it to be ultra light carry in the 24" range, this might be the ticket if I'm gonna spend money on this littl baby.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
A lot of ways to play the game with stw's... I was at my LGS yesterday evening looking at the christiansen arms booklet and asked about hanging a carbon wrapped pipe on my lh action; they said 8 bills. Now remember Rem DID put out some carbon wrapped sendero's in 7stw, but only in rh like all the other senderos. I think I'm gonna spend some $$$ this year on the stw guys building a carbon wrapped lh sendero.
I've always thought there was to much barrel weight on a sendero for a carry gun, and they swing slow on running game to boot. If can get the barrel stiffness to calm this caliber down without the weight, I'm going to have to jump in feet first.
I remember those....We only got a couple come through the outdoors store I was working at back then (when I bought my Sendero SF), and I always wanted one in .308 or 7mmSTW. Never could get my hands on one, b/c they were all sold before they ever even got to our store...Wish I could have bought one, back then....That was always one of my dream guns.

So, you got the lead on the folks who used to make the barrels for them back then? If so, cough it up...

I would LOVE to have a carbon wrapped barrel for my 700 .280 AI build that I'm planning.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I remember those....We only got a couple come through the outdoors store I was working at back then (when I bought my Sendero SF), and I always wanted one in .308 or 7mmSTW. Never could get my hands on one, b/c they were all sold before they ever even got to our store...Wish I could have bought one, back then....That was always one of my dream guns.

So, you got the lead on the folks who used to make the barrels for them back then? If so, cough it up...

I would LOVE to have a carbon wrapped barrel for my 700 .280 AI build that I'm planning.
Look at Proof Research rifles. They manufacture their rifles with a carbon-fiber wrap barrel. Maybe they would just sell you a carbon-fiber wrap barrel instead of a complete rifle.

Proof Research | We Give You Proof | Barrels : proofresearch.com

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

I'll know more on the carbon wrapped barrels as I dive in a bit deeper when I get the $$$$ together. My understanding is that Christiansen arms will still either do a carbon wrap for you or hang a carbon wrapped match grade barrel for you; I'm looking at the latter. They aren't the only ones doing this, but the only ones I can get my LGS working with. Christiansen arms also makes a titanium framed damascus slide 45 acp I'm drooling over, but from what they say it's nearly $3K so that will be pipe dream for a while, no pun intended.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 PM

Great thread....first post on this forum. I recently went in to a pawn shop near my work and ended up buying a pistol, and a Remington 7mm STW as well. Learning more about this rifle as I go, but seems this one has had a bit of triggerwork, probably sporterized, and a bi-pod mount added to the front. It also has a pretty exotic looking stock on it which looks really nice.

looking forward to getting out and putting a few rounds through it.