Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Guys, just got off the phone with the owner of REDHAWK RIFLES! I was referred to them on a Stock issue that I am having on a build that I have going on right now. I left my name and info on his website, and he called me within about twenty minutes. And, to boot, he has my stock in his inventory, and is considerably cheaper then where I was going to get it from. Very friendly, and even explained how to remove material from the barrel channel to accommodate a larger barrel, without " butchering" it. Just wanted to pass along the info to any of the " Brothers" who may need his services, or products. He also does machine work as well. Red Hawk Rifles is the website info. Check them out!
I will second that. My dealings with Redhawk have been exceptional.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

Bump for my STW brethren...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Bronze Member

Well I am a new guy to the brotherhood. I just picked up a sako trg-s that is nib. Awesome factory trigger. I installed a vias brake and devcon bedded it with steel pillars. I installed a vx3 6.5-20 in the optilocks. Now I've got find a load for it. Thinking 120 vmaxes for groundhogs (should be a show!!) and 162 amaxes for deer. I am starting out with imr 7828. This thing has a super long throat. The vmaxes are going to jump .115 to reach the lands with the bullet bases seated flush at the neck junction. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antitactical View Post
Well I am a new guy to the brotherhood. I just picked up a sako trg-s that is nib. Awesome factory trigger. I installed a vias brake and devcon bedded it with steel pillars. I installed a vx3 6.5-20 in the optilocks. Now I've got find a load for it. Thinking 120 vmaxes for groundhogs (should be a show!!) and 162 amaxes for deer. I am starting out with imr 7828. This thing has a super long throat. The vmaxes are going to jump .115 to reach the lands with the bullet bases seated flush at the neck junction. Anyone else have this issue?
You'll probably be much happier starting at 140gr bullets and up. Much better BC's which get to be important when you start stretching it out.

Try several different loads and bullets and just find out what it likes and then go with that.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
The STW likes the jump so dont worry about it ......7828 is good stuff but RL25 and H-1000 really shine in the 140's
Old 02-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
The STW likes the jump so dont worry about it ......7828 is good stuff but RL25 and H-1000 really shine in the 140's
I have a shorter barrel, and can get 3250 with the 162 A max, but I can't get the speed with H1000 at all. You never know.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
For shooting at the range, the 168gr Nosler Custom Comp HPBT's work fantastic in my Sendero SF backed with a stiff charge of RL-22.

It also loves the 160gr Nosler AccuBonds with a solid charge of RL-19 for my hunting rounds.

Can't wait for the new 168gr AccuBong Long Range bullets to come out, so I don't have change my POI at the range between the Custom Comp 168's and the Accubond 160's...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.