Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Congrats on the new toy. I have been wanting to build another STW, but this first build in years will be my custom wildcat caliber I'm designing. It should be dead inbetween the 7mm Rem Mag, and 7mmSTW in performance.

Once I have finished designing and have myself as the proprieter and inventor of this cartridge, and have a reamer and dies for it, I will be able to post specs of it, and it's top-secret name... Then I can work up a proper load for it, and be able to give specs. But until then....It double-secret G14 classified.

THEN, after that I will build another STW.
That right up there with " Triple Dog Dare You" , anyway, " don't shoot your eye out! Good luck on the new round, sounds like fun in the making process.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky b View Post
I not bragging on my gun but I am excited about getting it. I have been shooting a Winchester Model 70 STW for a while and I love it. I'm in the process of building my 12 year old son a Winchester Model 70 25/06 that I could give to him and he would have something his dad gave him to hunt with. Then on another forum and out of blind luck a guy told me he had a Sako 75 Stainless STW that he had shot 20 times that he wanted to sell because of recoil and the gun was priced right. After talking with this guy on the phone he told me he had five boxes of shells and one box of brass that came with the gun. The shells were federals and Rem's and a box of Winchester Fail Safes that I use to shoot in my STW. As most of you know Winchester quit making the STW case and factory ammo so I started reloading for it. So I ask my son which gun he would want to have if he had a choice and he picked the STW. Well my FFL guy called me last night and said your toys are here and this gun is perfect. Just picked it up this morning and the gun looks brand new. It was a relief to finally get it in my hands and the condition of gun being what the seller said it was. I know there are some really good people out there and this guy was one of them. I also have read where people get ripped off and this was in the back of my mind also. I got a simms recoil pad on the way and I will shoot a few to see if it needs a break. Will try to post some pictures of the gun as well. Ricky
Rickyb, congrats on the new toy, and I know what you mean about being " on edge" about things you buy on line, or through a website. I have bought two barrels of late, and was on pins and needles until they arrived, so I could do that all important inspection. Well, on both accounts, both were as promised or better. As a matter of fact, both were acquired through THIS website. The last was from one of the " brothers", and again, no problems at all.
You are going to like the Simms recoil pad. They really do have a great product.
And the brass is definitely a bonus, especially with the situation we are ALL in!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:30 PM

I am new to this thread and have never posted so bear with me. I am building a custom 7 STW to replace one I regrettably sold in the past. This will be a hunting rifle. I ordered a Broughton #5 contour 5C groove 26" finish length with a 9 twist. It will be mounted to an accurized Rem. 700 action with a PT&G bolt. It will have a Timney trigger and possibly a Vais brake. I'm looking for input on a stock. I can buy a HS precision stock now off the shelf or wait 5 months for a McMillan Hunters Edge. One of the two. Do you think one would outperform the other in the accuracy category?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
MudRunner, I am pretty sure that Lapua dosen't make anything that a STW can be form from, in fact, I don't think they have ANY belted mags. I have been considering buying some 300 HH brass from Norma, and fire forming it. Norma brass is incredibly tough, and can be reloaded quite a bit. Primer pockets stay tight, and it hardly grows . Something to think about!
I have had fantastic luck with Norma Bass for over 30 years.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

How many firings do you get with norma 7stw brass?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
How many firings do you get with norma 7stw brass?
Depends on a great many factors. That begins with the quality of the brass and how hot your loads are. I think I've probably averaged at least six over the years.

The poorer the brass quality and hotter the load the shorter the life will be.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl View Post
I am new to this thread and have never posted so bear with me. I am building a custom 7 STW to replace one I regrettably sold in the past. This will be a hunting rifle. I ordered a Broughton #5 contour 5C groove 26" finish length with a 9 twist. It will be mounted to an accurized Rem. 700 action with a PT&G bolt. It will have a Timney trigger and possibly a Vais brake. I'm looking for input on a stock. I can buy a HS precision stock now off the shelf or wait 5 months for a McMillan Hunters Edge. One of the two. Do you think one would outperform the other in the accuracy category?
I have a McMillan hunters edge stock on my Rem 700 7mm STW and love it with no brake. if you choose the HS precision stock it is goin be heavier but as long as you bed them right there shouldn't be any difference with it's accurracy potential.

Regards Steve.