Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 03:23 AM

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

[quote=7stw;761455]Trondheim, with the extreme cold, and the new brass, I would try that load again in better conditions. Your load info sounds to be in the range. If I remember corectly, VV560 is the high energy version of the old N160, which is a excellent powder for the STW, and the 162 A Max. The one thing that you didn't mention was your scope. Hopefully, you are using a scope with adjustable parallax, and that you are able to dial in the parallax correction. Was the group cemetrical, or was it vertical, horizontal? all of those variables, or the pattern of the group may help, but I think you are on the right path, and that may very well be a great load, with no changes needed. The group you got under your present set up converts to 6.14 inches. You certainly would not miss a game animal at that distance, and it is right at or about MOA as it is!
I think you are onto a good load.[/

7stw; the scope i am using is IOR 3,5-18*50 FFP mil/mil lwith adjustable parallax mounted on a custommade 20 moa picatinny rail. Speed was chronographed to 920 m/s in -10 degrees celsius last weekend. We have a club championship next weekend, so i hope to do better then. I'm **** to post pictures so if i can email it to someone who can post it ill be thankfull.

Last edited by trondheim; 02-10-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:02 PM

I am new to this forum. I have a Remington 700 7 mm STW with a factory port and a trigger job. It is a great gun, but I have only shot it about 20 times. I sighted it in with 7 rounds, shot an elk at about 150 yds, shot a deer at 70 yds, a deer at 225 yds and a hog at 50 yds.

Anyway, I am considering getting rid of it and getting something with more available bullets. Does anything shoot similar to this but with more readily available cartridges? I am not really into reloading. Maybe the 7mm RUM?
Old 02-10-2013, 03:48 PM

Look at the 300 winchester mag. It will perform and you have a large choice of bullets available!
Old 02-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trondheim View Post
7stw; the scope i am using is IOR 3,5-18*50 FFP mil/mil lwith adjustable parallax mounted on a custommade 20 moa picatinny rail. Speed was chronographed to 920 m/s in -10 degrees celsius last weekend. We have a club championship next weekend, so i hope to do better then. I'm **** to post pictures so if i can email it to someone who can post it ill be thankfull.
That is a great scope isn't it!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaJagd View Post
I am new to this forum. I have a Remington 700 7 mm STW with a factory port and a trigger job. It is a great gun, but I have only shot it about 20 times. I sighted it in with 7 rounds, shot an elk at about 150 yds, shot a deer at 70 yds, a deer at 225 yds and a hog at 50 yds.

Anyway, I am considering getting rid of it and getting something with more available bullets. Does anything shoot similar to this but with more readily available cartridges? I am not really into reloading. Maybe the 7mm RUM?
Bama if you'll check online ammo is not a problem to get and if you reload which you really need to for any long range rig if you want real precision out of it, then you have an endless list of choices of high bc bullets for the 7mm's.

I agree though if you want to get rid of that in favor of something more economical and with better availability of factory ammo the 300wm can't be beat.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaJagd View Post

7rum is about dead... it simply eats barrels up to fast. I like the cal. and will probably get another, but it isn't selling. If you do not reload for your stw and nosler ammo isn't your thing(that ammo is rather easy to get in 7stw), I'd actually go 7rem or 300win.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Bama if you'll check online ammo is not a problem to get and if you reload which you really need to for any long range rig if you want real precision out of it, then you have an endless list of choices of high bc bullets for the 7mm's.

I agree though if you want to get rid of that in favor of something more economical and with better availability of factory ammo the 300wm can't be beat.
That is kind of what I was thinking. I bought a die when I got the gun thinking of reloading. I loaded about 15 shells with 140 grain nosler balistics. It has impressive power. I just don't have time to reload. Like I said, I have barely shot the gun. I am thinking of getting a benelli R1 chambered for a 300 win mag for big game.

Does anyone know what I can get out of the STW? I bought it new about 12 years ago. It is a factory Remington 700 STW stainless with a composite stock and wood stock. It has a threaded barrel with a port and a custom trigger. It has a detachable clip too.