Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW


Reply

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2661  
Old 02-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,322
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire306 View Post
You are correct about the STW being a "V" action. The 75's were built in 5 action lengths, I, III, SM, IV and V. "I" being 222, 223, "II"was 260, 308 lengths cartridges, "SM" was the 270 and 300 WSM, "IV" was the 30-06 length cartridges, and "V" was the magnums or long action stuff.
The newer model 85 series Sako's they now call the action lengths, XS, S, SM, M and L. Not sure why they changed, Sako has used the I, II, IV, V method for years.
The m995 though, from what I understand is that they are all the same action length, although they were built in a normal m995 model and a magnum m995 model. The part I'm not sure of is whether or not the stocks are the same for both the magnum and regular m995's. I think the only difference is basically the bolt, and more specifically the bolt face is larger for the magnum chamberings.

If someone could clarify this for sure, I would appreciate the info.

I just sold my Sako 75, in STW. It was a great rifle, and yes the magazine length allows 3.700" OAL. I only sold the 75, because I have acquired this m995 that I spoke of earlier, that I am going to customize. The factory m995 magazine allows 3.730" OAL, and when I get the Whiskey 3 chassis, it used a AI CIP magazine, and from what I have read it allows 3.850" OAL.
Fire306, thanks for replying back. I was relatively sure about about the 75's, but not so sure on the other ones. At least I wasnt totally mis informed.
That new one of yours is going to be a beast!!
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2662  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: groves tx
Posts: 3
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

What are the prefered powders. i have a 26'' barrel, i'm thinking h-1000 to start? Gonna load 168 lrx and 168 berger's. This may be a dumb question but at what point do you lose horse power, is there a way to tell the optimum expansion of the powder vs barrel length?

Last edited by BFrakes; 02-04-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2663  
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 4,443
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrakes View Post
What are the prefered powders. i have a 26'' barrel, i'm thinking h-1000 to start? Gonna load 168 lrx and 168 berger's. This may be a dumb question but at what point do you lose horse power, is there a way to tell the optimum expansion of the powder vs barrel lenght?
H-1000 is never a bad choice to start with.

It is a very slow powder so you won't get an optimal burn in the 26" barrel but you should still get adequate velocity.

The best advice is to always start with a small quantity (1lbs cans) till you fine the powder that gives you the best combination of velocity and accuracy, and then when you do buy in bulk from the same lot number.

With everything going on today the latter is even more important than it used to be because lord knows what kind of supply there will be later.

RL 22 and RL 25 seem to be the other two most preferred powders with this caliber.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #2664  
Old 02-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Waiting on what I hope is a great deal on a Sako 75 stainless STW. Talked with owner who said 20 shots down the tube and is throwing in a few boxes of shells plus a box of brass that was shot out of gun. I have a Winchester Model 70 that I load up with Winchester WXR powder. Going to work on some of the R-22 or R-25 for the Sako with a 120 grain bullet to start. Really like reading this thread. Have learned a great deal about the STW and it's nice to see the popularity of this round. P.S. this Sako STW is for my son who is only 12. No he will not start out shooting it this year but when he is older I want this to be his go to gun for the type hunting we get to do. Rick
Reply With Quote
  #2665  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 65
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky b View Post
Waiting on what I hope is a great deal on a Sako 75 stainless STW. Talked with owner who said 20 shots down the tube and is throwing in a few boxes of shells plus a box of brass that was shot out of gun. I have a Winchester Model 70 that I load up with Winchester WXR powder. Going to work on some of the R-22 or R-25 for the Sako with a 120 grain bullet to start. Really like reading this thread. Have learned a great deal about the STW and it's nice to see the popularity of this round. P.S. this Sako STW is for my son who is only 12. No he will not start out shooting it this year but when he is older I want this to be his go to gun for the type hunting we get to do. Rick

Want to be my Dad? LOL
Your son and you will love that rifle. They do hit you in the shoulder pretty good, particularly when shooting from a bench. You son will definitely want to work his tolerance up to shooting it.
Great rifle.
Reply With Quote
  #2666  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,322
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky b View Post
Waiting on what I hope is a great deal on a Sako 75 stainless STW. Talked with owner who said 20 shots down the tube and is throwing in a few boxes of shells plus a box of brass that was shot out of gun. I have a Winchester Model 70 that I load up with Winchester WXR powder. Going to work on some of the R-22 or R-25 for the Sako with a 120 grain bullet to start. Really like reading this thread. Have learned a great deal about the STW and it's nice to see the popularity of this round. P.S. this Sako STW is for my son who is only 12. No he will not start out shooting it this year but when he is older I want this to be his go to gun for the type hunting we get to do. Rick
Rickyb, congrats on the new STW, and to the one you have. I have been a Remmy man, for the better part of my shooting life, but I have a couple of awesome M70's in my cabinet now, including a Custom Sharpshooter. You will like the Sako that you are getting. The Sako action is strong action, and well built. The trigger in mine was very smooth, and was adjustable to a nice weight. It sounds like the one you are getting is like the one that I had. Welcome to the Brotherhood' , and questions and comments are welcome as well.
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2667  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,322
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
H-1000 is never a bad choice to start with.

It is a very slow powder so you won't get an optimal burn in the 26" barrel but you should still get adequate velocity.

The best advice is to always start with a small quantity (1lbs cans) till you fine the powder that gives you the best combination of velocity and accuracy, and then when you do buy in bulk from the same lot number.

With everything going on today the latter is even more important than it used to be because lord knows what kind of supply there will be later.

RL 22 and RL 25 seem to be the other two most preferred powders with this caliber.
+1, what he said! especially the BULK part!!!!!
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wy. antelope shooting times??? jorvin Antelope Hunting 5 04-20-2013 08:05 AM
nightforce nxs times 2 tjonh2001 Optics For Sale 0 02-09-2010 11:14 PM
.358 Shooting Times Alaskan COBrad Guns For Sale 3 10-20-2009 11:07 PM
first 2 times out Kohly Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards 0 01-04-2009 03:34 PM
Some times the shooting gods smile ss7mm General Discussion 12 06-20-2005 03:32 AM

Current Poll
Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?
YES - 62.21%
976 Votes
NO - 37.79%
593 Votes
Total Votes: 1,569
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC