Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Well, its offical! I picked up a winchester 70 classic stainless in 7mmstw I'm no expert but it couldnt have a box of ammo run through it. I'm pretty excited, and looking to check my bearings on what I'm putting together (using some of what I have sitting around til $$ gets saved back up), and some loading info.

model 70 crf stainless all factory
dnz game reaper one piece mount/base
vortex viper 6.5-20 x 44
hornady 162gr sst (i couldnt pass up $40/200!)
h1000
federal 215m
new remington brass

I've found a bunch of load data and from what i've read i like the stability of h1000 and its supposed to be kinder to the throat. Thoughts on that?

I've never reloaded for a belted case and i'm still foggy on sizing off the shoulder v. belt issue. Thanks in advance. I've already learned a lot from the dozens of pages I've read through.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Load using the shoulder as a reference like an '06 or similar. You have the original stock on your winny right??? If so you may well have to piller bed or put a laminate stock on it to realize its accuracy potential. We (my dad) had one of the SS's and he traded it because accuracy was flighty. I read later that the win tupperware isn't very sturdy and often needs replacing. Good luck to you; the wins can be fantastic rifles if you learn them. My remmy is still not where I want it, but I've got to actually get it to the range before I can work on it more.
As far as powders, I'd look at rl22,rl25, retumbo, and ramshot magnum. I've not had great luck with h1000 in my last 7stw; it shot but it hit pressure before it got fast. rl33 is a possible too, but my initial run with 171 barnes match showed it hitting pressure earlier than expected. I'm gonig to have to play more I guess.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Bronze Member

I plan on upgrading the stock after I sell the model 70 300wsm I originally purchased to fill the role of this rifle. Future plans are a stock- I'm undecided between a b&c, hs, and McMillan. The plan is to keep overall weight reasonable and when the time comes rebarrel with something along the contour of a 3 or 4 shillen etc. I'll probably get another vortex viper but a pst model to have a retical for holding wind or quick adjustment if my calculation was incorrect. Lrh is a ways off, but a guy can dream! I guess the best thing about this round is that it's mbpr is farther than you can see most places in western Pa. Another speed goat trip is in the works though.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
Load using the shoulder as a reference like an '06 or similar. You have the original stock on your winny right??? If so you may well have to piller bed or put a laminate stock on it to realize its accuracy potential. We (my dad) had one of the SS's and he traded it because accuracy was flighty. I read later that the win tupperware isn't very sturdy and often needs replacing. Good luck to you; the wins can be fantastic rifles if you learn them. My remmy is still not where I want it, but I've got to actually get it to the range before I can work on it more.
As far as powders, I'd look at rl22,rl25, retumbo, and ramshot magnum. I've not had great luck with h1000 in my last 7stw; it shot but it hit pressure before it got fast. rl33 is a possible too, but my initial run with 171 barnes match showed it hitting pressure earlier than expected. I'm gonig to have to play more I guess.
There's many different reasons that could cause accuracy issues with factory guns in factory configurations, and they're not true with every factory gun. The most common issue we see with accuracy issues are the crowns, either a bad factory crown (cut out of true to the bore) or user caused damage (putting the gun in the truck muzzle down on the floor for example). Stocks can cause accuracy issues, very rarely does pillar style bedding fix these problems. Pillar bedding only allows for the action and the bottom metal (or action screws in a ADL style rifle) a secure clamping force, it does not give the action and chamber area of the barrel any support. The next area is the barrel channel not being floated properly if at all. All that bedding fixes is it gives the action a solid support during recoil not to move and cause harmonics to be as similar from shot to shot as possible. The other benefit is that when the action is removed from the stock for cleaning/maintenance, the point of impact change is minimal.
The biggest reason for changing a stock is the shooter's preference by in large. You as the shooter will shoot better hands down, if you're comfortable for your shooting style (wrong or right) if the stock feels good to you, it doesn't matter what I like, or Manny, Moe, or Jack likes. If you get on that weapon, and everything feels right, you're going to shoot better, period.
San Angelo, TX 76903

Shop Number - 325-212-4392
Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR292 View Post
There's many different reasons that could cause accuracy issues with factory guns in factory configurations, and they're not true with every factory gun. The most common issue we see with accuracy issues are the crowns, either a bad factory crown (cut out of true to the bore) or user caused damage (putting the gun in the truck muzzle down on the floor for example). Stocks can cause accuracy issues, very rarely does pillar style bedding fix these problems. Pillar bedding only allows for the action and the bottom metal (or action screws in a ADL style rifle) a secure clamping force, it does not give the action and chamber area of the barrel any support. The next area is the barrel channel not being floated properly if at all. All that bedding fixes is it gives the action a solid support during recoil not to move and cause harmonics to be as similar from shot to shot as possible. The other benefit is that when the action is removed from the stock for cleaning/maintenance, the point of impact change is minimal.
The biggest reason for changing a stock is the shooter's preference by in large. You as the shooter will shoot better hands down, if you're comfortable for your shooting style (wrong or right) if the stock feels good to you, it doesn't matter what I like, or Manny, Moe, or Jack likes. If you get on that weapon, and everything feels right, you're going to shoot better, period.
+1, what he said!! ( especially the last paragraph)
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR292 View Post
I'm not getting into a fight about pillar bedding. I've worked a few rifles bedding over and this is by far not my first rodeo. Most of the time a simple float is enough. Pillars seem to have worked on my BDL with soft wood, though. I agree if you have huge gashes of bedded area missing you need to fix it, but I was referring to some really crappy stocks put out by win that NEVER should have hit the market. Marlin has done this lately with their xl7 and its tupperware. If you want to put a synthetic stock on a rifle, put one on it that actually works well in all conditions and doesn't get floppy when it is 100 degrees outside.

P.S.-- I've never had a bad crown on one of my rifles. Treat your rifle like it cost more than $5 for cripes sakes, it isn't that hard to do. I've seen a few rifles with poor crowns in the gun shops, but I refuse to touch anything someone thought was their red-headed stepchild.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
+1, what he said!! ( especially the last paragraph)
+ 2(Ditto on the last paragraph)