Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR292 View Post
After checking on some parts for one the A-bolts in the shop, there are ZERO magazines available right now for them and there's no back order. Wonder if browning decided to go away from it?
Also got my Krieger barrel today for my stw... almost got everything together to get this thing going, just need my stock, magazine follower, rings and optic and I'll have everything.
Anticipation is a killer ain't it
Old 01-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Bronze Member

For those of you who have the Wyatts extended length magazine box, what follower did you use?
San Angelo, TX 76903

Shop Number - 325-212-4392
Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
For those of you who have the Wyatts extended length magazine box, what follower did you use?
If you read no the Wyatt's site they have their own followers for their magazine boxes.

Magazine Boxes, WYATT'S OUTDOOR, INC.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 PM

Just got my frist stw, 700 ation,1-9 hart barrel,bell and carlson m40 stock. Have shot double tap 140's with decent results. What my opions for this caliber?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
After checking on some parts for one the A-bolts in the shop, there are ZERO magazines available right now for them and there's no back order. Wonder if browning decided to go away from it?
Also got my Krieger barrel today for my stw... almost got everything together to get this thing going, just need my stock, magazine follower, rings and optic and I'll have everything.
Ben, what stock, and optics are you going with? Russo? McMillan? HS? Man, I went on Russo's website the other day, and boy, he has some BEAUTIFUL stuff. Exotics, laminates, you name it.
On your Kreiger barrel is a 5 land, or six. It seems as though the the 5 r is quite the rage recently. Did you go with a heavy contour? I'm sure it will be shooter, you have all the goodies to do it right! keep us posted! Sounds good so far!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

Having hunted Africa many time I have used a variety of bullets. While north forks don't have a great BC what they do offer is performance on game. I have not had any other bullet hit like the NF at 400 yards in. When you shoot an animal they leave massive wound channels and kill things fast. I have no complaints with partitions, accubonds, ballistic tips and xxx bullets. I have had a couple of major problems with Berger VLD hunting bullets but I like them as they are accurate and are easy to shoot long distance . I shot a deer at 466 this past weekend with the 130 VLD hunting bullet and the first shot was not good gave to much for wind and hit the deer through the ham and the bullet was flatten partially on the base but otherwise unchanged. The second shot in the shoulder and not much damage but enough. This was from 6.5 x47 lapiua which is not as fast as some but I expected more. The 120 TTSX was easy pass through with lots of blood at 400 yards.i will be shooting hogs this weekend with the 140 bergers in 6.5 x 284 maybe speed will help.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrakes View Post
Just got my frist stw, 700 ation,1-9 hart barrel,bell and carlson m40 stock. Have shot double tap 140's with decent results. What my opions for this caliber?
Depending on what and how far you are shooting, you have tons of options. With your present setup, up can shoot anything from 140-190 grains. The 7STW is one Badass 7mm rifle. It is capable of incredible accuracy, and knock sown power second to none. It is typically not a hard rifle to get to shoot. The combo you have is classic in it's ability, as you have all the components working for you. Now, all you need is know what are your primary intentions, and that will tell you your best choices, as far as ammo, if you don't load, or component picks if you do. This is the best place to figure that out. There is a lot of experience hear, and most will be glad to help, should you have a question. " Welcome to the Brotherhood". That surely sounds like a fine combo you have there. Lots of good time to come!