Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I thought you guys would like to know that North fork bullets

.284-175 SS Sample Pack (20per box) - Premium Bonded Core Soft Point and Percussion Point - Bullets - Default Store View
Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browtinehunter View Post
Other than good penetration with very limited expansion what do these bullets offer?

I don't see the BC's listed on them and just at a glance they don't appear to be in the same league BC wise with most of the bullets we discuss here.

Such a short profile and flat base just don't make for great accuracy at long range in most projectiles.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakorb View Post
so i have a abolt laying around in my cabinet. 7mm mag i purchased it to make a long range rig but after reading about barrel changes being a pain i racked it. recently i seen interest in modifying abolts. my question is what to do to it....after purchasing my 7mm stw no 1 i love the stw more than my mags. should i rebarrel it to stw and replace trigger and stock. true action. or find diff donor. if i rebarrel i would get a new barrel with a heavier contour. and i know it would cost more than finding one already done but half the fun and esteem is being a part of ur build. any gunsmith recomendations welcome. i live in pa
We've barreled quite a few A Bolts and their triggers aren't the easiest to do but it can be done and turned into a pretty good trigger. There's not a lot of stock options for ya in terms of the big names in a 'tactical" stock or other common long range stocks. All of the ones with an exception of the 7remmag I'm doing for a customer right now have been back in the original stock. The rem mag is in a boyds thumb through laminit blue and grey stock with horrible inleting from boyds. They took out way too much material and the stock just isn't that ergonomically fit IMO but thats me. I'm also a big guy, 6-4 240 lbs so most stocks don't fit me anyway but anyway, the A Bolt is doable the same as most other actions.
San Angelo, TX 76903

Shop Number - 325-212-4392
Old 01-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Can't you just re-chamber the browning and put the 375 h@h mag in it??? I saw an stw like that a while back and the shop owner didn't think they even moved the bolt stop....
BTW on my abolt II lh in 300 win a simple lightening of the trigger was enough to make it feel dang good, but it shot the same groups at 5# as it does at 2.5#.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Bronze Member

Actually you can lengthen a 7mm Rem Mag chamber to STW and then change the mag system to a Wyatts with a follower and spring, open up the bottom of the receiver a bit to allow it feed and it should be good to go. I"m not sure on the bolt stop, I had to lengthen mine on my M70 just a bit.
San Angelo, TX 76903

Old 01-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

I know of a couple of people that , when the STW first became popular, took Browning A Bolts, in seven Mag, and merely had them rechambered to STW. No other changes were made except the magazine. The magazine was changed to the one that is for the H/ H size bullets. Some of the older ones had 26 inch barrels too! The last time I spoke with him, he still has it, and it still shoots great.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Bronze Member

After checking on some parts for one the A-bolts in the shop, there are ZERO magazines available right now for them and there's no back order. Wonder if browning decided to go away from it?
Also got my Krieger barrel today for my stw... almost got everything together to get this thing going, just need my stock, magazine follower, rings and optic and I'll have everything.
San Angelo, TX 76903