Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Thanks for the info. I am going to break in with the Nosler factory till I can gather bullets, powder and brass. We have Federal Match primers for days. If someone has a favorite powder that the 700 likes, please pass it on. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Bronze Member

Retumbo works well as does some of the Reloaders. I'm a big fan of using as much of the case volume as I can get away with which is why I use retumbo a lot. We started playing around with 50BMG as well, not enough to really give you solid data yet.
San Angelo, TX 76903

Shop Number - 325-212-4392
Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 PM
Bronze Member

I need to call your shop and get a muzzle brake lined up. We have 6 KDF brakes now that will tame anything but the problem is noise. If you forget your muffs, your ears will ring for 2 days. I need the least amount of bang possible and still get some help against my bad shoulder. I can get to your shop in about 3 hours. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEG View Post
Thanks for the info. I am going to break in with the Nosler factory till I can gather bullets, powder and brass. We have Federal Match primers for days. If someone has a favorite powder that the 700 likes, please pass it on. Thanks.
GEG, as was said before, " Welcome. To Brotherhood". For years, and up til last year, I was a die hard RL22 user, and was able to get what I wanted out of it. It was / is temp sensitive. I decided to try RL25, as I had heard good things from some other of my chronies, so I gave it a try. Well, long story short, that is my " go to " powder for my STW's . It seems to be less temp sensitive, than the 22.
Another great powder for the STW is H1000. It simply works well with all bullet weights, and typically, ES, SD are low.
Your choice of primers is probably the best overall in this round. Those Federal 215 GM primers are like gold now. Nobody has them! Good luck on your new toy, and if any problems arise, you'll likely find your answer here somewhere. No body hear bites!!
Old 01-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEG View Post
I need to call your shop and get a muzzle brake lined up. We have 6 KDF brakes now that will tame anything but the problem is noise. If you forget your muffs, your ears will ring for 2 days. I need the least amount of bang possible and still get some help against my bad shoulder. I can get to your shop in about 3 hours. Thanks.
GEG where in Texas are you?

If you're within a decent drive you're more than welcome to stop by and I'll let you shoot my STW with the Snowy Mountain Rifle brake on it.

It will begin an instantaneous love affair with that particular piece of equipment I assure you.

EDTA: oopse I see you are in Kennedy down near Houston. Oh well, if you're up my way the offer is still good.

You'll also like being able to shoot prone with these and not have to worry about all that dust and debris blowing back in your face.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Bronze Member

7stw thanks for the info. Wild Rose, I am with the oil field now and spend a lot of time half way between San Antonio and Corpus Christi. I very much thank all of you for your help. Please keep the info coming. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:10 PM

so i have a abolt laying around in my cabinet. 7mm mag i purchased it to make a long range rig but after reading about barrel changes being a pain i racked it. recently i seen interest in modifying abolts. my question is what to do to it....after purchasing my 7mm stw no 1 i love the stw more than my mags. should i rebarrel it to stw and replace trigger and stock. true action. or find diff donor. if i rebarrel i would get a new barrel with a heavier contour. and i know it would cost more than finding one already done but half the fun and esteem is being a part of ur build. any gunsmith recomendations welcome. i live in pa