Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

If anyone would like them I developed some cheat sheets and other useful charts for long range hunting and shooting I know a lot of fellow STW shooters might use. The range/distance cards are all based upon using Mil reticules for ranging on the average size of the identified target. However the forum wont allow me to upload them due to their format. If anyone would like them, send me a PM and I'll email them to you.
San Angelo, TX 76903

Shop Number - 325-212-4392
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR292 View Post
I used to use Limbsaver pads but they deteriorate very badly over a short period of time, the decellerator is great pad as well. Custom fitting the pad looks much better on the decellerator's base material IMO as well.

Brakes make all the difference in the world. I really like the Holland Muzzle Brake, they work very well, not huge, and not overly loud either. That being said, there's always a trade off with brakes, the reduced recoil comes at the effect of added noise. Usually the noise isn't bad for the driver, but any passengers in the area might not like you very much. If you're out in the open (hunting in places the STW really shows itself) the noise isn't bad at all. I have a few different brakes on my guns, all work well in different ways. If you find a brake you like I'll be more than happy to share my experience with it. I do between 5-10 brakes a week in the shop. Another thing I like about Hollands are they are available in many different threads that allow them to be installed on small diameter (like most light weight hunting guns) without having to shorten the barrel down to get enough "meat" to cut the standard 5/8-24 that many popular brakes are offered in.
I've shot literally dozens of different styles of brakes over the years and all have some advantages along with disadvantages.

The "Gentry Quiet Brake" is one of the most effective brakes on the market with no increase in noise to the shooter at all.

It's fault is if you shoot it prone since it's a 360 discharge which means as you well know in our part of the world if you are shooting prone you will create a dust storm ahead of you and may if you are shooting into the wind have you ending up with a lot of debris in your face.

The Shrewd Varmint brake is a good one as well, not as much recoil reduction but still tames the tigers with no increase in noise to the shooter and even out to the sides you aren't pushing those with you. It's great for prone shooting (side discharge) but does not reduce muzzle flip as effectively as many others.

The best overall brake I've shot is this one by Snowy Mountain Rifle company.

Muzzle Brakes

Even on my 7mm STW if I don't have ear protection I can get off a couple of shots without punishing myself and it is fantastic at reducing both muzzle flip and recoil.

I was fortunate enough to get one on a rifle I bought last year and like it well enough I'll be putting it on at least four of my other magnums this year.

I've not noticed any problem with the Limbsaver pads breaking down on me but I've only been using them for three years including on the rifles I keep in the truck year round which means they get exposed to a lot of extremes at both ends of the thermometer. If they do break down on me, I'll just replace them. They are in my opinion the most effective I've ever tried. I like the Pachmayr as well, but the limbsaver does seem a bit more effective.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Bronze Member

We do a lot of work with Snowy Mountain, it's funny you bring up it, the shop owner where I work is related to the owner at Snowy, so naturally we do a lot together lol.
The hollands do a great job at muzzle jump to stay on target as well. The are a main side port with small top ports and none on the bottom. I also have a Cooley on a gun it doesnt a great job, but it's big and it's louder than some of my other ones.
Precision Armament makes a great brake as well. I've ordered one of their M41's to try on my STW and I've shot a few of their M11's. The M11's work great, but just big. As a side note I also put on of their bolt knobs on my STW, and I LOVE IT, perfect size and grip with and without gloves.
San Angelo, TX 76903

Old 01-19-2013, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR292 View Post
We do a lot of work with Snowy Mountain, it's funny you bring up it, the shop owner where I work is related to the owner at Snowy, so naturally we do a lot together lol.
The hollands do a great job at muzzle jump to stay on target as well. The are a main side port with small top ports and none on the bottom. I also have a Cooley on a gun it doesnt a great job, but it's big and it's louder than some of my other ones.
Precision Armament makes a great brake as well. I've ordered one of their M41's to try on my STW and I've shot a few of their M11's. The M11's work great, but just big. As a side note I also put on of their bolt knobs on my STW, and I LOVE IT, perfect size and grip with and without gloves.
The Cooley if very effective but like some of the others it directs so much of the blast back towards the shooter they are unpleasant as hell to shoot on a big magnum. I'd never put one on a gun I was going to shoot at a public range either.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:39 AM
Bronze Member

You're not joking about the Cooley, my brother-in-law wasn't happy with me at all when I cracked off a round at a coyote at 640 yards without giving him notice first lol.
San Angelo, TX 76903

Old 01-19-2013, 03:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytaddict View Post
Im getting ready to build another STW, I had one i put together last year in a TC Encore platform. It had a 28" full bull shillen barrel 1;9 twist with 6 flutes, a set of custom laminate stocks, a trigger job and topped with a Zeiss 6.5-20x50. I had my best groups out of it (.42") with 140 Berger VLD's pushing 3600fps with IMR 7828. I had someone make me an offer on it and regret selling it. I have a savage 110 long action that ive been thinking of rebarreling to another STW but im unsure or what i would need to change the bolt head to to accept the stw case, and is there any aftermarket extended length magazines for the savage?

Here are a couple of pics of the encore:
The savage rifles I have had all have issues lengthening the magazine unless it is a blind magazine. Savage puts the floor plate hinge in the way in the newer LRH series.
The only way to get a high performing 7 out of a savage is to go the 7mm Dakota or 7mm LRH (Rutgers 375 compact mag necked to 7mm)
Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Bronze Member

Too each their own but I'm not a fan on building on Savage actions and I will refuse to open a savage bolt up to a magnum bolt face. The bolt is already at the limit of what I consider safe (bolt body thickness at the face). If you look at any reloading manuals, even with a 140 "factory" COL it's 3.65 ish and most magazines wont go that big, or right at 3.625 max. Thats the whole reason for a custom reamer to shorten the free bore to allow you to seat the bullet deeper and not have a mile long jump like on a weatherby mag. You can also have the angle changed on the leading edge of the rifling which allows for a bit hotter load without such a high pressure spike (which is what my reamer is being built around).
I originally was going to do DBM with an AI magazine but the 300 WM and 338 Laupua magazines are limited to 3.625" max COL whereas the Wyatts box allows for 3.825 (at least on my M70 action) which gives me plenty of wiggle room even for the 180/190s without having to single shot the gun. There is some machine work on the actions to allow for the longer box but it's not to invasive. It will require you (and in my opinion you should anyway) to go with a one piece bottom metal like PTG's because you'll loose your center action screw when machining the bottom of the action.
San Angelo, TX 76903