Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

palmettopredator

Welcome fellow Ohioan. Your wife will be on the list with mine!!! Sorry to know that you have lost your father too, but he did live you a nice rifle and some great memories. My father left me his '67 Chevelle.

These guys are great for being helpful and supportive.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettopredator View Post
I appreciate it fellas. I've been jotting everything down in a notebook, planning a reloading bench and already planning a build. (My wife is going to dislike you guys.)
That's OK, most of our wives dislike us too!!! Ha ha . Ask questions, burn some nitro, smell the smells, and shoot tiny groups, and critters WAAAAAY over yonder! That's what we like to do best!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Guys, I am looking for a barrel channel rasp or file or what ever they are called. I am getting a laminated stock from Stockys, but by the dimensions that are posted, I will need to open it up around .030, to get the barrel to fully float. I have done the old " dowel and sandpaper" routine before, but that's going to be a lot of sanding, and I want it perfect. The barrel will be a # 4 Brux. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
I used an old barrel from a rebuild with sand paper. The taper was natural that way.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettopredator View Post
I appreciate it fellas. I've been jotting everything down in a notebook, planning a reloading bench and already planning a build. (My wife is going to dislike you guys.)
Hey...... It's what we do! And your wife wouldn't be the first either.... LOL

Dan
Old 01-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Silver Member

Question
In the future I want to get my Sendero rebuilt/rebarreled. I'll be going with the 7mm ultra mag or the 7mm STW. I would like to primelry set the gun up to shoot the 180 VLD's for long range. What is the preferred twist rate or best twist rate and length of barrel to get the best performance out of this combo....any experienced or susgestions are welcome. The gun I currently have is a 300 ultra mag. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
I'm thinking in a year or two I'll build a lefty version of the sendero in 7stw.

Hey Lefty

This is exactly what i think i want to do now instead of dumping money in the old left handed rem 700 bdl. Would like to just build a left handed Sendero with 26" stainless fluted barrel..... Just don't know really where to start. I don't want to use the action from the 700 i have because it was my daddy's, didnt want to change much about the looks besides a little longer barrel. I think i will just leave it in the case like it is. Im scared that even after putting a 26" barrel, pillar bedding stock and truing action it still may not shoot all that great....
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
Hey Lefty

This is exactly what i think i want to do now instead of dumping money in the old left handed rem 700 bdl. Would like to just build a left handed Sendero with 26" stainless fluted barrel..... Just don't know really where to start. I don't want to use the action from the 700 i have because it was my daddy's, didnt want to change much about the looks besides a little longer barrel. I think i will just leave it in the case like it is. Im scared that even after putting a 26" barrel, pillar bedding stock and truing action it still may not shoot all that great....
Grumpy, might I suggest doing what you want to do, but do it on ANOTHER action. I know this may be the hard part, in finding a left hand magnum action, and build it from the action up. A few of us here have done that, and I am doing that as we speak.
And when you do, do all of those things that you are afraid won't make it shoot any better. They DO make a difference. All that " trouble " does pay dividends on paper, and across the field with a critter out in front of you. It is spelled " confidence".
I just did see a 7 mag " lefty" in a ADL synthetic recently, so they are out there. And I can tell you first hand that pillar bedding and " glass bed" the action works wonders.