Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW


Reply

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #246  
Old 04-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,324
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
I found out my Sako 995 has a 1 in 9.5 twist. I'd lkie to try the new168gr Barnes LRX. Barnes says this bullet needs a 1 in 9 twist. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not my barrel will stabilize this bullet?
It probably will. Sometimes you can play with the speed to compensate for twist in some situations. I have shot bullets that are advertised for a faster twist, and have had no problems. You are very close to the " prescribed " twist that it probably will be fine. I am interested in that bullet too.
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 04-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,324
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Hey guys, well the clock is ticking now, and I am getting excited already. I picked up the VARI-x III, 6.5-20 today, and put the " Sacrifice " gun on layaway with a healthy deposit. I will have it paid for in a few weeks, then maybe another week to put it together and test fire it, then it will be mine. I am going to put dual dovetail bases, and I have a set of rings already. I love the dual dovetail bases because they do not move. I used to use the conventional Leupold bases that have the screws on both sides for Windage. Well, a few years back, the day before a sniper shoot, my groups started walking left to right almost in a straight line every time I fired. We figured it out, and corrected the problem with a little BLUE loctite. Then I discovered the dual dovetail bases, and now that is all I use. On another note, the rifle that I am buying, is a late nineties ADL synthetic in 7 mag. Action is smooth, and trigger is one of the original 40 x style, that Mike Walker designed. I can work wonders with those babies. For now, I am going to be swapping stocks with one of my other HS stocked rifles until I can decide which way to go as far as it's own stock. I've been looking but nothing has jumped out an bit me, except maybe on of those Bobby Hart LRH models. Time will tell. Just an update, sorry for the long read!
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 04-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West Terre Haute Indiana
Posts: 553
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Hey guys, well the clock is ticking now, and I am getting excited already. I picked up the VARI-x III, 6.5-20 today, and put the " Sacrifice " gun on layaway with a healthy deposit. I will have it paid for in a few weeks, then maybe another week to put it together and test fire it, then it will be mine. I am going to put dual dovetail bases, and I have a set of rings already. I love the dual dovetail bases because they do not move. I used to use the conventional Leupold bases that have the screws on both sides for Windage. Well, a few years back, the day before a sniper shoot, my groups started walking left to right almost in a straight line every time I fired. We figured it out, and corrected the problem with a little BLUE loctite. Then I discovered the dual dovetail bases, and now that is all I use. On another note, the rifle that I am buying, is a late nineties ADL synthetic in 7 mag. Action is smooth, and trigger is one of the original 40 x style, that Mike Walker designed. I can work wonders with those babies. For now, I am going to be swapping stocks with one of my other HS stocked rifles until I can decide which way to go as far as it's own stock. I've been looking but nothing has jumped out an bit me, except maybe on of those Bobby Hart LRH models. Time will tell. Just an update, sorry for the long read!
Hey 7.........Whats the plan for the 7 mag tube?.....Ive been looking at those Bobby Hart stocks too,I like em,think I may try one on my 22-250,Glad you got yor scope and all,how much did you have to give for your doaner if you dont mind me asking.....Im excited for you brother keep me posted ButterBean
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 04-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,324
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Hey 7.........Whats the plan for the 7 mag tube?.....Ive been looking at those Bobby Hart stocks too,I like em,think I may try one on my 22-250,Glad you got yor scope and all,how much did you have to give for your doaner if you dont mind me asking.....Im excited for you brother keep me posted ButterBean
Butterbean, this is my second attempt to reply. I have no plans for the tube, or the stock. Want them? I paid just over $400 for the rifle. Scope was $325. ( it is MINT) the action is matte black, and with the stainless barrel it is going to look sharp. I really do like the Bobby Hart stock. That may eventually be my pick. Now I need to find bottom metal.
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hope Hull, AL.
Posts: 113
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

7stw,
I am with you on the dual dove tail rings and bases, they are rock solid and that is all I use now also. I had the same problem twice with the windage screws, had one just break on a Rem. 700 7mmRM one time and noticed it in the tree stand one morning and never figured out why it broke and on my Rem. 700 338WM they wouldn't stay tight and that is when I changed over to the dual dovetail mounts. Just one less thing that moves is another reason I like them too
FE
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 04-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: West Terre Haute Indiana
Posts: 553
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

7STW...........My gun store called today and said they took a Leupold 3x9x50 Vari x 2 in on trade ........ said I could have it for 250 ........you know you got it bad when the gun store calls and says they are holding stuff for you ......You gotta love em
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 04-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,324
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
7STW...........My gun store called today and said they took a Leupold 3x9x50 Vari x 2 in on trade ........ said I could have it for 250 ........you know you got it bad when the gun store calls and says they are holding stuff for you ......You gotta love em
Been there, DO that! My "gunshop" occasionally will call me if something comes in that they think I may be interested in. They sort of know the things that I gravitate to, so once in a bit I get a call. Are you going to grab that scope? ( not a bad price). Go for it! I am going to a gun show tomorrow, I'll see what don't need that I may come home with. Actually, the last show I went to, I picked up a brick of primers, and 4 lbs of powder CHEAP. Take care,and Happy Easter.
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wy. antelope shooting times??? jorvin Antelope Hunting 5 04-20-2013 08:05 AM
nightforce nxs times 2 tjonh2001 Optics For Sale 0 02-09-2010 11:14 PM
.358 Shooting Times Alaskan COBrad Guns For Sale 3 10-20-2009 11:07 PM
first 2 times out Kohly Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards 0 01-04-2009 03:34 PM
Some times the shooting gods smile ss7mm General Discussion 12 06-20-2005 03:32 AM

Current Poll
Do You Shoot Rifle Competition?
YES - 33.38%
769 Votes
NO - 66.62%
1,535 Vote
Total Votes: 2,304
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC