Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW


Reply

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2493  
Old 01-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: N.D.
Posts: 3,167
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake Duke View Post
What was your fireforming load?

I necked them down in steps. 35/33/30/then 7.

A lot of work, but it is good to know I have options. I have used 8mm mag before, but it is rarer then 7STW.
A start load of h4831 in the 7stw section of the hodgdon data. According to their current manual online it would be 75grains with a 120.
Either 30 cal(a 300 win die set long) or 338 ( a 338 win die set long) will suffice on its own for an intermediate step; I've done both. Just set the shoulder to the correct spot and go for it. You will probably have to trim them afterward to square 'em up.
Reply With Quote
  #2494  
Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 66
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

I've done a lot of fire forming using trailboss powder. Does really well and allows you to use up a lot of the case volume to make a bit safer without the high pressure spike. I usually load them out toughing the lands (as any fire forming should be) in order to control the stretching out at the neck and not at the base of webbing just ahead of the belt. You can also order bulk "Magnum" brass (un necked belted cases) to form into 7 STW. Give Trailboss a try, it's the strangest looking powder, and it's takes a lot of volume with low weights (STW should be around 22-25grs max. I would start off around 18 gr and walk it up from there. Good shooting
Reply With Quote
  #2495  
Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Redlands CA
Posts: 151
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
I've made a hundred or so of the rem 375 brass I had from years back into 7stw. I've tried both fireforming with H4831 and 120's(god job and rather accurate for putzing around) and the few grains of pistol powder and farina/cream of wheat method. I'd not use the latter as it as frankly terrible to clean your barrel after the cereal burns in it.
Any of the full length belteds will make 7stw, with the 300 roy and the 8rem at the top of the list as the fireforming is less. If you are necking down 375 h@h make sure to use an intermediate step like a 338 sizer die long so you don't crush the neck trying to go from 37 cal to 7mm at once.

What loads did you use for the 120's?

I imagine a midrange book load.
Reply With Quote
  #2496  
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: N.D.
Posts: 3,167
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake Duke View Post
What loads did you use for the 120's?

I imagine a midrange book load.
check post 2493

The stw is belted, so shoving the bullet into the lands isn't necessary(sometimes helpfull though), especially if you make a shoulder on the brass as you neck it down; get your dies right and there will be plenty of shoulder there.
Reply With Quote
  #2497  
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway
Posts: 27
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Hi!
Finally i got my sako 75 back from the "docter" last week. Mounted a custom made 20 moa picatinny rail with IOR 3,5-18x50 on top. Loaded up some 162 gr a-max with 71-77 gr Vithavuori n 560, col 93 mm. Got two ok groups (15 mm), one at 73 gr and the other at 76,5 gr. Speed 921 m/s and 972 m/s. This was at -13 degrees celsius. Any suggestions and taughts over these loads. I have also norma mrp,mrp2,vihtavuori n 570 and hodgdon h 1000 powder i want to try. Shall i keep to vv 560 or experiment further?
Reply With Quote
  #2498  
Old 01-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 5,168
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trondheim View Post
Hi!
Finally i got my sako 75 back from the "docter" last week. Mounted a custom made 20 moa picatinny rail with IOR 3,5-18x50 on top. Loaded up some 162 gr a-max with 71-77 gr Vithavuori n 560, col 93 mm. Got two ok groups (15 mm), one at 73 gr and the other at 76,5 gr. Speed 921 m/s and 972 m/s. This was at -13 degrees celsius. Any suggestions and taughts over these loads. I have also norma mrp,mrp2,vihtavuori n 570 and hodgdon h 1000 powder i want to try. Shall i keep to vv 560 or experiment further?
H1000 has always been a very good powder for me in both my 7mm mag's and 7mm STW's.

When I get set back up to reload I was going to try H1000 and RL25 and see if one of them will produce well in all three of my STW's along with my 300wm's and 300 Rum. Given a choice I'd prefer to not have to keep large stocks of multiple powders.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #2499  
Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,324
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR292 View Post
I've done a lot of fire forming using trailboss powder. Does really well and allows you to use up a lot of the case volume to make a bit safer without the high pressure spike. I usually load them out toughing the lands (as any fire forming should be) in order to control the stretching out at the neck and not at the base of webbing just ahead of the belt. You can also order bulk "Magnum" brass (un necked belted cases) to form into 7 STW. Give Trailboss a try, it's the strangest looking powder, and it's takes a lot of volume with low weights (STW should be around 22-25grs max. I would start off around 18 gr and walk it up from there. Good shooting
You know, I have thought about it more times than a few about buying some Norma 375, or 300 hh brass, and do some fire forming, because the result is the BEST brass you can buy. I guess I would have to get someone to walk me through it, but it may happen. I have a mish mosh of brass now. It is all in great shape, but I have like four different brands, ( A Square, Remington, Winchester, and a few Federal, which are junk anyway). HMMM, maybe I'll give it a try.
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wy. antelope shooting times??? jorvin Antelope Hunting 5 04-20-2013 08:05 AM
nightforce nxs times 2 tjonh2001 Optics For Sale 0 02-09-2010 11:14 PM
.358 Shooting Times Alaskan COBrad Guns For Sale 3 10-20-2009 11:07 PM
first 2 times out Kohly Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards 0 01-04-2009 03:34 PM
Some times the shooting gods smile ss7mm General Discussion 12 06-20-2005 03:32 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC