Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglebuck View Post
Hey guys. I just got all my reloading stuff set up that I received from Santa so I hope you all are ready for all the questions I have. First pill I will be trying is the 145 LRX. Yes this is for my 7mm STW. Here is my first question. Can anyone direct me to a good video showing the proper way to set up my Redding deluxe dies and do I need to full length resize or just neck resize? I have the set with all 3 dies FL , neck, and bullet seat die. I set up the FL resize die but something just don't feel right. Help me please I'm ready to get started
oglebuck, Put your die in the presstouching the shell holder.Now back it off 1/4 turn.Run a case in then try it in your gun with the fireing pin removed. Keep turning the die down invery small incriments and trying it in the gun each time. You want it so the bolt drops about 3/4 of the way down then you feel a little resistance to close it the rest of the way. When you get this feel lock the die ring and you now have a case sized to minimum headspace. Brass life should be long.
Brush
Old 01-14-2013, 03:01 AM
Silver Member

OK- I admit I havent read all 356 pages of this forum, I have read 265 of them though, and I have an idea I havent seen yet.

With the crush on reloading parts orders and everyone everywhere being backordered, I think the manufacturers will focus on cranking out 223, 308, 30-06, 45,38 ect.ect.

7mm STW is only made by a few manufacturers currently so resources may switch to more lucrative production, leaving us in the proverbial lurch. So, can a 375 H&H be necked down to 7mm stw and then fireformed?

Cornmeal or loaded ammo?

I have stepped it down to 35/33/30 then 7mm. The neck is the correct length, it chambers on the shoulder from the neckdown, but Im afraid to fire it up.....
Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake Duke View Post
OK- I admit I havent read all 356 pages of this forum, I have read 265 of them though, and I have an idea I havent seen yet.

With the crush on reloading parts orders and everyone everywhere being backordered, I think the manufacturers will focus on cranking out 223, 308, 30-06, 45,38 ect.ect.

7mm STW is only made by a few manufacturers currently so resources may switch to more lucrative production, leaving us in the proverbial lurch. So, can a 375 H&H be necked down to 7mm stw and then fireformed?

Cornmeal or loaded ammo?

I have stepped it down to 35/33/30 then 7mm. The neck is the correct length, it chambers on the shoulder from the neckdown, but Im afraid to fire it up.....
Yes the 375 can be necked down with some work(as its the parent case for all belted magnums) but if you can get some 8mm Mag brass its a much easier job can and I have done both and I think the loaded ammo works a little better but I use Conmeal in the STW to save the tube life
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake Duke View Post

Cornmeal or loaded ammo?

I've made a hundred or so of the rem 375 brass I had from years back into 7stw. I've tried both fireforming with H4831 and 120's(god job and rather accurate for putzing around) and the few grains of pistol powder and farina/cream of wheat method. I'd not use the latter as it as frankly terrible to clean your barrel after the cereal burns in it.
Any of the full length belteds will make 7stw, with the 300 roy and the 8rem at the top of the list as the fireforming is less. If you are necking down 375 h@h make sure to use an intermediate step like a 338 sizer die long so you don't crush the neck trying to go from 37 cal to 7mm at once.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Bronze Member

Brush - thanks for the instructions. I think I got it figured out.
7stw - how much jump are you giving the 145 LRX ? Where is a good starting point for me ? My gun is Remington 700 action with lija barrel 1-10.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglebuck View Post
Brush - thanks for the instructions. I think I got it figured out.
7stw - how much jump are you giving the 145 LRX ? Where is a good starting point for me ? My gun is Remington 700 action with lija barrel 1-10.
Oglebuck, I am loading the 145 LRX to 3.688. The barnes bullets LIKES to jump. So I wouldn't worry about trying to fill gap. I don't think it is a good practice to seat a mono bullet into the riflings anyway. It causes the pressures to skyrocket pretty quick.
I would set it in right at 3.688. It will cycle through the box magazine, and will engage the throat nicely, while still being in the case. These bullets are amazingly accurate, you'll see!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
I've made a hundred or so of the rem 375 brass I had from years back into 7stw. I've tried both fireforming with H4831 and 120's(god job and rather accurate for putzing around) and the few grains of pistol powder and farina/cream of wheat method. I'd not use the latter as it as frankly terrible to clean your barrel after the cereal burns in it.
Any of the full length belteds will make 7stw, with the 300 roy and the 8rem at the top of the list as the fireforming is less. If you are necking down 375 h@h make sure to use an intermediate step like a 338 sizer die long so you don't crush the neck trying to go from 37 cal to 7mm at once.

What was your fireforming load?

I necked them down in steps. 35/33/30/then 7.

A lot of work, but it is good to know I have options. I have used 8mm mag before, but it is rarer then 7STW.