Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Looks like I will need to make another trip there and take my Hawkeye
Old 01-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Silver Member

AFAIK, there are three different "types" of Winchester 70 actions, not counting long/short actions:

The actual pre-64 and pre-64 type (so-called "Classic") actions with the long extractor and blade ejector.

The push-feed action with the small extractor (similiar to AR-15 extractor) with plunger ejector. Bolt face similiar to Rem. 700, but with better extractor.

The "CRPF" (Controlled round push feed) actions with a bolt face similiar to, but not exactly the same as the CRF actions, but with the push-feed extractor and blade ejector.

I have examples of all three on hand and will post pics if you guys are interested.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 AM

Happy New Years all!
I would like to keep posting on here, but I think I will need to learn some things about how to function here first. If someone would be so kind as to direct me to where I can do some reading to learn how to properly post, add friends, use the "quote" button, etc..
Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Gold Member

I'm still looking for the "like" button
Old 01-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Please post pics, there are a lot of winnie after market parts similar to rem 700 and winnie actions and guns are undervalued for building on as gunsmithing requires less skill and takes less time on rem 700's. So, I think winnie's of various heritage are quite interesting to consider a build with. A savings of a few hundred for any one looking to build quality for the best value. There are some of us that still think that way! Once I saw Jewel making a trigger for winnie's, i got sold on winchester actions as a base.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oliver View Post
AFAIK, there are three different "types" of Winchester 70 actions, not counting long/short actions:

The actual pre-64 and pre-64 type (so-called "Classic") actions with the long extractor and blade ejector.

The push-feed action with the small extractor (similiar to AR-15 extractor) with plunger ejector. Bolt face similiar to Rem. 700, but with better extractor.

The "CRPF" (Controlled round push feed) actions with a bolt face similiar to, but not exactly the same as the CRF actions, but with the push-feed extractor and blade ejector.

I have examples of all three on hand and will post pics if you guys are interested.
Yep, Jim's right. The .223 WSSM I had was a controled round push feed. Had a blade extractor with a blade ejecter. It worked really well for those short stubbys.

I'll be looking for a M70 Coyote this year chambered in the .223 WSSM as I still have the Brass and dies from that light weight rifle.

Jim, please post the photos for clarification for the others....

My gunsmith works on a lot of m70s of all types, He charges more for the claw extractor because the barrel needs to be head spaced and indexed with a cut made for the claw extractor in the barrel. Remys and the push feeds don't need this cut and some gunsmiths aren't willing to tool up for it.

Dan
Old 01-01-2013, 12:37 PM

Hello 7mm STW brotherhood
I want to know if it would be possible to build a7mm STW using a Stevens 200 7mm Remington magnum rifle? Any info would be greatly appreciated!