Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW


Reply

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2290  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Posts: 536
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Dano, Im building a 280 for my cousin up in Indiana On a Winchester XTR action ( I think I may have twisted 7's arm a bit on his choice of action's) but you wont believe what I scored .......I wont say it out loud .......( XTR action 26" Obermeyer 5r tube and a rifle basixs trigger) cause I dont want to upset 7STW
Dang, That would be great. I've only owned 2 Winchester bolt actions, a 670 in a .243 win, which is what I started hunting with, and a .223 WSSM. I would definately like to build on a Win action in the future.

I'm a little jealous of your cousin!

Dan
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2291  
Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lexington NC
Posts: 547
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1 View Post
Dang, That would be great. I've only owned 2 Winchester bolt actions, a 670 in a .243 win, which is what I started hunting with, and a .223 WSSM. I would definately like to build on a Win action in the future.

I'm a little jealous of your cousin!

Dan
Im really kinda hoping he changes his mind and dont want it
__________________
ButterBean
Remember.....Dont argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Reply With Quote
  #2292  
Old 12-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Posts: 536
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Dano, 41 mag, Wild Rose, Butterbean,

That is two votes so far on the 26 length. It is now at 27 inches, but is designed to be reduced by 1/2 inch on both ends, to finish at 26. I was going to AT LEAST go 24 inches, but was undecided as to whether to cut it to 24, or to finish it at 26.
I am going with a standard 280 case, no AI. I don't want to fool with fire forming, and special dies or whatever. I have a light to carry 7 mag, and Dano' I love ANYTHING seven millimeter. ( go figure). The #4 contour is plenty stiff enough, and I'm sure she's gonna be a shooter. I had one years ago, and it shot like a house on fire. This gun is going to be for areas that the don't need the extra power, so I think the standard 280 will be just fine. So, that being said, will 26 inch be ok, or too long?
Man, I love this group, and this thread..thanks guys.
Ok, .280 Remington it is, in that case a 24"bbl would be awesome and I would suggest loading with Superformance, H4831, H4350, or RL-19. Need a faster powder for the shorter bbl. Sounds like a really good carry rifle and you'd be good for off hand shots.

Dan
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2293  
Old 12-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leominster mass, originally Salisbury Maryland
Posts: 1,323
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1 View Post
Ok, .280 Remington it is, in that case a 24"bbl would be awesome and I would suggest loading with Superformance, H4831, H4350, or RL-19. Need a faster powder for the shorter bbl. Sounds like a really good carry rifle and you'd be good for off hand shots.

Dan
Dano, BTW, the action I am using is from a 670, 30-06. I bought it for 349.00. This gun I believe was a closet queen.
My first 280 was a 22 inch barrel, and I always wished it was 24. My uncle built one from a 721 Remington action, that thing is awesome. I wouldn't have a problem going 26, or maybe even 25. The rifle has a blind magazine, and I may let it stay a blind magazine. They are stiffer at least.
But yeah, I know what you are saying about the off hand shots. There are two long action , non magnum cartridges that really are the cream of the crop, and that would be a 25-06, and a 280. I now have a 25-06, with a lifpttle coaching from " the Bean", and I love it. Now I'm going to build this 280' and just want to make the right decisions. Once it's cut, well, that's what you get! Thanks buddy!

Bob.
__________________
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL. 7 STW
LIFE IS TOO SHORT! AND WE ARE A LONG TIME DEAD!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2294  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Posts: 536
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Im really kinda hoping he changes his mind and dont want it
yeah, no kidding! Good luck with that!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2295  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lexington NC
Posts: 547
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Dano, BTW, the action I am using is from a 670, 30-06. I bought it for 349.00. This gun I believe was a closet queen.
My first 280 was a 22 inch barrel, and I always wished it was 24. My uncle built one from a 721 Remington action, that thing is awesome. I wouldn't have a problem going 26, or maybe even 25. The rifle has a blind magazine, and I may let it stay a blind magazine. They are stiffer at least.
But yeah, I know what you are saying about the off hand shots. There are two long action , non magnum cartridges that really are the cream of the crop, and that would be a 25-06, and a 280. I now have a 25-06, with a lifpttle coaching from " the Bean", and I love it. Now I'm going to build this 280' and just want to make the right decisions. Once it's cut, well, that's what you get! Thanks buddy!

Bob.
Did I hear somebody say 25-06 ?
__________________
ButterBean
Remember.....Dont argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Reply With Quote
  #2296  
Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Posts: 536
Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Did I hear somebody say 25-06 ?
I had a Rem 700 ADL once in a .25-06, Bought it off a guy that was hard up for money for $250 about 14yrs ago. Sold it and wished I kept it. It's another one of those I wish I had back!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wy. antelope shooting times??? jorvin Antelope Hunting 5 04-20-2013 08:05 AM
nightforce nxs times 2 tjonh2001 Optics For Sale 0 02-09-2010 11:14 PM
.358 Shooting Times Alaskan COBrad Guns For Sale 3 10-20-2009 11:07 PM
first 2 times out Kohly Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards 0 01-04-2009 03:34 PM
Some times the shooting gods smile ss7mm General Discussion 12 06-20-2005 03:32 AM

Current Poll
Do you watch outdoor shows live or by recording them?
Always recorded - 13.33%
109 Votes
Mostly recorded - 24.21%
198 Votes
Sometimes recorded - 14.18%
116 Votes
Rarely or never recorded - 48.29%
395 Votes
Total Votes: 818
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC