Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioq View Post
What is Y'all's thoughts on a Remington Model 700 SPS in 7mm STW Caliber. Factory New in Box. 26" matte black barrel. Black synthetic stock with grey hogue overmold. Xmark pro trigger.

Can this be worked up and maybe made into a great shooter??
And what will it cost to make it such a shooter???

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Im with my partner in crime 7STW on this one I would pass on it ......all of them I have seen are junk .....Big green went from gunsmithing to Blacksmithing as of late, the chambers and lands look the have been run over with a bottom plow .......Like I said if it was me I would pass
Ditto on what my Buddies "7STW" and "ButterBean" said.

I would check-out the Sako M995 TRG-S 7mm STW that bobs is selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
Marioq - I also have a very nice Sako M995 TRG-S for sale, in our caliber, of course. PM me if you would like the info on it.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 12-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamehawker View Post
Ditto on what my Buddies "7STW" and "ButterBean" said.

I would check-out the Sako M995 TRG-S 7mm STW that bobs is selling.
Now that's comparying a Yugo to a Ferrari!

I knew these were indeed the bottom of what Remington produces but I'd not heard the quality issues were so severe.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Gold Member

marioq,

I like Remingtons, Not the new ones, but the older ones when Quality Control wasn't a big issue. When I go about building a new one, I always cruise the Pawn Shops and gun and find a Diamond in the rough. I've found several early 1970's vintage rifles that were in great shape, but showed the signs of being carried and not fired much at all. I even found one that didn't have swivel studs, That one looks brand new but was built in 71.

What I'm getting at is that there are a lot of older Remys that are out there because people are dumping them to buy the "latest and greatest new thing" for people like me they are what I look for to build off of. Most of them are .30-06s ad I do find 7mm Rem mags. Look for one of those... (a BDL if possible)

Remington has ony the 2 action lengths. A 7stw will fit into the mag of a 7mm Rem Mag and will feed perfectly. I would suggest a new barrel in a medium to heavy contour at least 26" with a 1-9" twist , install a Timney or Jewel trigger (or a complete trigger Job) and a New stock. Have the smith clean up the action while he's at it.

I can't bring myself to buy the new stuff when the older stuff is much better anyway..

Those Sakos are Sweet rifles! If you can.... buy one of those. That Rifle of bobs .... Well let's say that I'd buy it if I had the funds.....

Dan
Old 12-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Now that's comparying a Yugo to a Ferrari!

I knew these were indeed the bottom of what Remington produces but I'd not heard the quality issues were so severe.
Wild Rose, this latest production run of those SPS's are junk dude. I think they used a chainsaw file to lap the barrels!!!! If you run a patch through one, it will come out shredded.
I have been a Remington man the majority of my life, but I'll not buy another NEW one. I'll buy used and older ones, that I can figure out when they were made though!!
Check out the Remington Quality thread, in this section, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Just wanted to send out a message to all the "Brothers" and wish everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS, and a wonderful NEW YEAR. There are some lasting friendships here, that will survive this thread for sure. For most here, it has been a good year, but for us all, it has ended in a bad way. BLESS all of those folks, and the children!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE, FROM ME AND MINE..
7STW and Family.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano1 View Post
marioq,

i like remingtons, not the new ones, but the older ones when quality control wasn't a big issue. When i go about building a new one, i always cruise the pawn shops and gun and find a diamond in the rough. I've found several early 1970's vintage rifles that were in great shape, but showed the signs of being carried and not fired much at all. I even found one that didn't have swivel studs, that one looks brand new but was built in 71.

What i'm getting at is that there are a lot of older remys that are out there because people are dumping them to buy the "latest and greatest new thing" for people like me they are what i look for to build off of. Most of them are .30-06s ad i do find 7mm rem mags. Look for one of those... (a bdl if possible)

remington has ony the 2 action lengths. A 7stw will fit into the mag of a 7mm rem mag and will feed perfectly. I would suggest a new barrel in a medium to heavy contour at least 26" with a 1-9" twist , install a timney or jewel trigger (or a complete trigger job) and a new stock. Have the smith clean up the action while he's at it.

I can't bring myself to buy the new stuff when the older stuff is much better anyway..

Those sakos are sweet rifles! If you can.... Buy one of those. That rifle of bobs .... Well let's say that i'd buy it if i had the funds.....

Dan
ditto + 1
Old 12-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

Merry Christmas Bob and everyone. let's be safe and keep those stw's clean-oiled and ready for the New Year!