Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
I had the same thing happen to me last year with a 300 RUM, and a 168 VLD. Velocity was at 3369, distance was 219 yards. Huge flesh wound. Knocked the deer down, but when I went to recover her later, she " recovered" enough to get up and disappear into the woods. Lots of blood, but she covered a lot of ground, and we did not find her. That was the last Berger bullet I have used for hunting.
I switched to Barnes LRX, and TSX , and Nosler Partition. I used the LRX this past season, and am VERY impressed. Total penetration, and great terminal performance.
As I've said before, I'm a big fan of the Nosler Partition but I will be experimenting with the 168gr LRX this off season. I prefer complete penetration as the vast majority of animals I've killed have gone a little distance after a lung hit and required some tracking. I like the blood trail that an exit wound gives, which is important when there is no snow on the ground. I also want the ability to break heavy bone and keep on penetrating.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Bronze Member

I will never shoot another berger at an animal either! The bullet worked, but just left me with no confidence in its ability to hold up on game
Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Silver Member

I ran the trajectory on the 145 & 168gr LRX and although the 168 has a better BC, the higher MV of the 145 gives virtually identical trajectory out to 1000 yds. So it's just a matter of which one your gun shoots best. Looking forward to finding out!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytaddict View Post
I will never shoot another berger at an animal either! The bullet worked, but just left me with no confidence in its ability to hold up on game
Ham Berger, bah, Humbug!!!!! He He!!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
I ran the trajectory on the 145 & 168gr LRX and although the 168 has a better BC, the higher MV of the 145 gives virtually identical trajectory out to 1000 yds. So it's just a matter of which one your gun shoots best. Looking forward to finding out!
Bob S, I personally had had great luck with the 145 LRX. I have some 168 LRX's on the way to me, that I would like to give a try to, but am very satisfied with the 145's, for the reason you just mentioned. I am doubtful I will ever shoot 1000 yards, but if conditions were right, I feel confident at a 700 yard shot, and at that distance, either bullet will work just fine. The 168 LRX is a LOONNNNGGG bullet too.
But I also have a 700p in seven mag that loves the heavy bullets, and I think I'll try them in that gun as well. I'm sold on them.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for clarifying, I've heard single shot actions like the ones BAT machine makes are stronger but this may be that there is more metal being no magazine work. Just wondered if they could take more pressure. Brass is the other issue too I see. It seems like Thompson makes a strong action, nice set up he had. The rifle looked awesome with all that stainless steel.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Bob S, I personally had had great luck with the 145 LRX. I have some 168 LRX's on the way to me, that I would like to give a try to, but am very satisfied with the 145's, for the reason you just mentioned. I am doubtful I will ever shoot 1000 yards, but if conditions were right, I feel confident at a 700 yard shot, and at that distance, either bullet will work just fine. The 168 LRX is a LOONNNNGGG bullet too.
But I also have a 700p in seven mag that loves the heavy bullets, and I think I'll try them in that gun as well. I'm sold on them.
I've read alot of your posts and I feel I need to ask, why do I not hear of the Berger 180gr VLDs being shot out of an STW EVER? In the UM, WSM, WM, and even SAUM i've heard of it being successful. I just feel like asking because a plan on getting a 7mm STW but I've been trying to rule out the other calibers. Although I think i'm dead set on the STW because the SAUM has hardly any brass and performance isn't good enough for me, the WSM is ok but its performance is still alittle low, and the UM is going to be discontinued (7mm, brass), plus recoil is alittle much. The only other thing I plan on looking at is the Dakota, seems good but don't know anything about it.