Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
In your photo are we looking at the entrance or exit wound?

thats the entrance. The bullet barely made it past the entrance side ribcage, it took out the hit side lung, but the heart and offside lung were not touched
Old 12-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytaddict View Post
thats the entrance. The bullet barely made it past the entrance side ribcage, it took out the hit side lung, but the heart and offside lung were not touched
Reason I asked is that I've never seen an exit or entrance wound on a big game animal that looked like that. There are many here on this thread with more game experience than me that use Bergers, but I would not use that bullet on anything larger than a coyote. Many of my game shots have had to bust a shoulder or penetrate from the short ribs foreward to get into the lungs. That Berger would just cause a horrible surface wound and probably a lost animal.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryb View Post
I just happened to look on reloaders nest for 7 STW and saw a load for 82 gr rl-25 with 180 vld. Is this possible? I am shooting 73 grains and while it is not max I find it impossible to go up that high. any thoughts?
Yup, I can verify that load, cause that's the one I use in two STW's. One is with a 145 LRX, and the other is with a 140 partition. All are with 215 GM federal primers. One is with Winchester brass, the other is with A- Square brass. Velocity is smokin, but work up to it gradually. In the Remington Action, I am running a OAL of 3.688. In the Winchester rifle, I am running at 3.630 OAL. Enjoy, be careful. That RL25 is some awesome stuff.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

I wonder if a single shot like the Encore would allow higher velocity and psi? Is that why you went to this and a long bull barrel?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytaddict View Post
I had the same thing happen to me last year with a 300 RUM, and a 168 VLD. Velocity was at 3369, distance was 219 yards. Huge flesh wound. Knocked the deer down, but when I went to recover her later, she " recovered" enough to get up and disappear into the woods. Lots of blood, but she covered a lot of ground, and we did not find her. That was the last Berger bullet I have used for hunting.
I switched to Barnes LRX, and TSX , and Nosler Partition. I used the LRX this past season, and am VERY impressed. Total penetration, and great terminal performance.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I wonder if a single shot like the Encore would allow higher velocity and psi? Is that why you went to this and a long bull barrel?
It definitely seemed to spit out a bit more velocity and stood up to a bit more pressure than my buddy's rechambered 700 (previously a 7mm Rem Mag) My buddys rifle couldnt take near the amount of 7828 that the encore was handeling. another great thing with the encore is you can load what ever cartridge length you need to get you seating depth right, because theres no magazine to worry about
Old 12-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
Ed, the answer is yes and no. You can get higher velocity, just due to the longer barrel, because you have a longer " combustion chamber " if you will, but you still need to keep the pressure at or lower than 65,000 psi. Granted, that because of the heavier chamber, you COULD run higher, but the question is SHOULD you? My book says no to that. The law of diminishing returns applies here, and additionally, brass life will suffer. Another thing is, the deer won't be any deader!!!!!
You can and will get more velocity from a longer barrel, with the same pressure, and all else equal. Happy Holidays my friend!