Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > 7mm STW

7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm STW Brotherhood - For those who shoot the 7mm Shooting Times Westerner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBean View Post
Did I hear someone say 25-06
You did, and Happy HO HO to you my brother!!!!
P/ S, I'll be spending some time with mine pretty soon too!!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsbigsmooth View Post
STW shooter here. Im new to this thread
Well sir, welcome aboard, and Welcome to the " Brotherhood ". We all seem to get along here, and once in a while we even learn a thing or to. WARNING, shooting this caliber has addicting affects, and could cause multiple gun syndrome. ( some of us already have it, and it is contagious ).
Feel free to ask questions, or share experiences. Enjoy the ride, and the rifle too!
Happy Holidays!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Gamehawker, I have thought about it enough, that it has confused me enough to not not do it. I get confused on just getting the bushings dies that do not use a expander ball when resizing, but then, you need to turn the necks to get UNIFORM tension. I have not ran into case neck uniformity issues, as of yet. But usually when I run into neck tension issues, the cases have been fired enough that I discard them and start over with new brass. My brass life has been pretty good, except Federal brass. Three firings maybe, and that brass is usually toast.
If I were to use them, it would probably be for my .308, or 22-250, that I get a lot more brass life out of. And let's face it, that whole set up isn't cheap either. A lot of the bench guys do it, and I understand that, but at least for me, in THIS caliber, I don't feel the need. I understand it in principal, but as " Riverman " said, I'd probably wreck a bunch of good brass anyway.
P/S, Are you done hunting for the year? muzzleloading comes in for you next week dosen't it? Then you have a season in January for rifle season for three days too!
I might take a ride that weekend. Hehe!!!!
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the feedback about the Redding Dies. I think I'll stick with my Forster Ultra 2-Die for reloading my 7mm STWs.

Regrettably I am done deer hunting for the season. I wish you good luck in your future hunting this season.

I also wish you have a wonderful holiday season and an awesome 2013!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 12-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

My chronagraph is done, have to get new one. What velocity would you expect with 180 Berger VLD with 73 grains of RL 25 from 28 inch barrel. I will have to guess until I get chrono. It shoots this load into basically one hole for 5 shots.
Thanks in advance
Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryb View Post
My chronagraph is done, have to get new one. What velocity would you expect with 180 Berger VLD with 73 grains of RL 25 from 28 inch barrel. I will have to guess until I get chrono. It shoots this load into basically one hole for 5 shots.
Thanks in advance
Around 3050fps to 3200 FPS. Depending on your bbl. Mine Shoots them right at 3000FPS with a 79g Load of Retumbo (26"bbl) which is slower than RL-25. They are seated really long and have to be shot single style.

Dan
Old 12-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oliver View Post
I have found that my No. 1s give best accuracy with the forearm not touching the bbl. or the front of the receiver. I bed the forearm to the hanger and relieve the wood, if necessary, to give about 1/16 in. between the bbl. and the wood, and about 1/32 in. between the wood and the front of the receiver.

There needs to be enough clearance between metal and wood so that the forearm can't touch bbl. or receiver when rested on a bag or whatever. Never seen the need for the O rings or the Hicks device or the set screw that some use. These items may be needed on some No. 1s, but I haven't needed them, yet

My .270 Win., .300 Win Mag and 45-70 are all sub-moa as is my unmolested 1V .22-250.

Devcon plastic steel epoxy or Brownell's Steelbed have worked for me.
Jim is right on and this sounds exactly like the treatment I had to do to that one Ruger No1. to get it shooting.

They are a awesome rifle there is something special about that Fahquarson action that I am in total love with. My Father has two and I had one in 7mm Rem Mag and I wish I had it back But needed a down payment on my house really bad.

Try this stuff first.

Dan
Old 12-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
My Ruger No. 1's shoot MOA with factory ammunition and if I could get a Jewel type trigger weight it would be easy to build a load to shoot less than 1/2 ". Does the trigger affect your accuracy? Triggers affect mine substantially. When my line is set and my breathing is just right, the trigger needs to go off. Any hesitation changes my POI...
Instead of holding your breath let half of it out normally and then just a very slow steady exhale. Many times if you hold your breath for very long it triggers a mile panic response which will make you twitchy and jittery.

I've seen the above be extremely helpful for lots of shooters.